First non-terrible color hologram

Present your work.
tommyNaN

First non-terrible color hologram

Post by tommyNaN »

Taken on old U04 film, with 457 nm, 532 nm, and 660 nm. Its only really rated to 650nm, so I overexposed the red. Perhaps too much.

Illuminated with an ikea LED.
Loic74

Re: First non-terrible color hologram

Post by Loic74 »

Nice one Tommy.

I have not yet tried the 440-660 version of those plates, only the 440-700 with which I have obtained good results with the wavelengths you are using.
Yves Gentet told me the red absorbant in the 440-660 version is very strong so you might have to pay attention to the color balance. He describes a procedure in the technical doc of the plates.

How is the replay color balance under laser light?
tommyNaN

Post by tommyNaN »

The replay color is much better under laser light, the white block is much whiter, and the yellow one looks much more yellow. The red block is way too bright though.

I ordered the U04 about three years ago, well before I got the laser, so its not the right film, but nothing to lose playing with it. Which technical document are you referring to? The obvious documents on his web site don't discuss color balance.

This was about 400 uJ/cm^2 for green and blue (rated for 200, but I don't entirely trust my meter's calibration and its old film), but 3000 uJ/cm^2 for red. Previous exposures at 200, 400, and 800 uJ/cm^2 basicly had no red image, so I multiplied by 10 (what could possibly go wrong?).
Loic74

Post by Loic74 »

Am talking about that document attached but somehow I can't find it on their website, I cannot recall where I got it from.
I think you are supposed to balance first the R+G then add a dash of blue... good luck :)
Processing color.pdf
(801.74 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
lobaz

Post by lobaz »

Thanks for the document. The presented hologram looks like the one Yves Gentet makes. The photo of the lab refers to "Vladimir" - it may be Vladimir Kuznetsov who works with Ultimate plates a lot. The document also mentions "Kris" - it may be Kris Meerlo, who also works with Ultimate plates. Finally, the author of the document (in PDF metadata) is Eric le Rossignol, which is the stage name of Eric Gentet, Yves's son.
Loic74

Post by Loic74 »

Thanks for those precisions. I found the link to that document, on Ultimate's website: http://shop.ultimate-holography.com/img ... 0color.pdf