Rainbow color mixing

Present your work.
Jeffrey Weil

Rainbow color mixing

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hello Everyone,

With all the talk lately about mixing colors I thought I'd post some of my embossed rainbow work to further the conversation.

If you click on the photos they will get larger.

I've got a few different types of color mixing so lets start with something simple. This is a pretty standard 2 level 2d-3d about 1.5 inches in size. Red, green,blue and yellow. The yellow is a single color shot. Not a mix of red and green. I don't know why yellow is special but it is. Sometimes I do yellow as a mix, other's as a single shot. In this hologram nothing is mixed. Just pure colors. RGB and Y.
peg2.jpg
Later in production opaque black ink was printed over the hologram to give it the text it needed for the client. The two bars on the bottom were covered by the ink except where the letters let the diffraction shin through.

This was taken with my older camera so the colors are a little bit off.

The next image is a five layer 2d-3d hockey card background. It's a little larger than the final size of the card, 2.5x3.5 to allow for die cutting. The players are printed on the surface with offset inks. I've inserted two images in the bottom to show how the final cards look.

The reason I've included this one is it's a little more complex on the mixing. They are still cartoon colors. Thats a term I use to indicate colors that are always at 100%. No gray scale mixing, just full on colors.

You can easily see my three primaries. Red in the “flames” coming from the upper corners, green in the “stars” and blue in the background. If you look at the “swooping lines” on the third layer you'll see yellow, magenta and cyan clearly. Those are 2 color cartoon mixes of course.
mchockey2.jpg
Now its time to get into full color. I use that term to indicate colors that are fully mixed, grayscales included. Sometimes when I do a full color hologram it's photo realistic other times it's not. This is one of the latter. The colors are fully mixed but they are very dynamic. Not very “real life” like.

This is a 6 layer full color 2d-3d about 3x2.5 or so. It's cut down in size for the final product.
drev2.jpg
I've included this one because it has some brown like tones it it. I know Dinesh will want to discuss browns. They are pretty hard to reproduce correctly in reflections. Unfortunately clients don't use that color often. It's not very pretty so I don't have any holograms with lots of real brown. On this one I do have some orange tones on his knee spikes and some brown like tones in his tail spikes.

Here's another full color but not photo realistic hologram. Its a 5 layer 2d-3d the same size as above. I've included this one because its dominated by warm tones, the above hologram is mostly cool ones.
saviordemondragon.jpg
For the last one I've included a hologram thats close to photo realistic. I've not shot anything closer to real life in my new lab and I really don't show holograms from past labs I've worked in. I only show stuff that's representational of what I'm doing now.

This is a 5 layer 2d-3d 3x3 inches. It will also be cropped down in size for the final product. I picked this one because it has a nice white and a great skin tone. Those two colors are also hard to reproduce correctly. It also has some brown tones in his bent up wand.

Check out the folds and shadows in his white cloak. I got some real subtle tones in this one.

This one also has a special effect. When you tweak the holo left and right there's a bright flash in his eye at the middle of the viewing angle. You can just see it in the shot. He has a patch over his other eye.
wizzard.jpg
So, while rainbow transmissions are difficult to get into exactly the right viewing position to view the colors correctly, when you do they look great. Because of the broadband replay of each of the primaries they reproduce colors much better than reflections can. Or, I should say “usually can” there's always exceptions.

Jeffrey Weil
NorthBeach Holography Inc.
Ed Wesly

Rainbow color mixing

Post by Ed Wesly »

Totally impressive! Who are the monster characters; could we find them in the trading card market?
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Johnfp

Rainbow color mixing

Post by Johnfp »

Excellent work. Very professional. Beautiful colors.
Jeffrey Weil

Rainbow color mixing

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hey Ed and John,

Thanks for the compliments.

Ed, those are Yugioh cards. The most rare ones called "ghost rare". They should be in any trading card stores glass case. They are also all over Ebay. Unfortunately when they make the final cards they use a print receptive lacquer that degrades the image a bit. These photos are of the resist masters themselves.

Jeff
Johnfp

Rainbow color mixing

Post by Johnfp »

Man, I used to love working with resist, the fringe locker, the multi channel mastering, the mounting and nickel plating and running Holly (the name of our embossing machine). Those were some great days.
Jeffrey Weil

Rainbow color mixing

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hello John,

I forgot where you worked before doing embossed stuff. Where was that?

No fringe locker for me, there's no replacement for a lab that hits 100% of the time and doesn't need one. I own a good one but have never used it.

I love working with resist too, the only thing I didn't like was the cost of the laser!

Jeff
Kiffdino

Rainbow color mixing

Post by Kiffdino »

Great works,super professional, brightness must be dazzling.
I must admit im not so much a fan of the anime-style monsters, but i like the supernova-like explosions in the backround very much.
holomaker

Rainbow color mixing

Post by holomaker »

super jeffery ! thanks for sharing!