sculpture

Present your work.
Joe Farina

sculpture

Post by Joe Farina »

This is a sculpture that I'm working on, for a hologram. I haven't started the painting yet. The last photo shows how the forced perspective was used.
Attachments
P2150018.JPG
P2150018.JPG (38.04 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
P2150015.JPG
P2150015.JPG (38.77 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
P2150017.JPG
P2150017.JPG (35.96 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
manalokos

sculpture

Post by manalokos »

Hello Joe!

The sculpture looks great!
Did you make the little people yourself? They are incredible!

Will you make a simple hologram of the sculpture or will you add some special effects
floating around?

Best regards
Filipe
Joe Farina

sculpture

Post by Joe Farina »

Hi Filipe, thanks for the kind words. Yes, I did the figures. I'm not planning to add anything that floats, but the sculpture still has a long way to go.
holomaker

sculpture

Post by holomaker »

very nice Joe! I cant wait to see it finished then !
Kiffdino

sculpture

Post by Kiffdino »

that looks great. very excited to see the final hologram
from the side, with the bent trees, it looks a little bit as if the trees are getting sucked into that big round thing in the back
a_k

sculpture

Post by a_k »

That's an amazing work Joe. The bodies of the figurines must have a width of a few millimeters only and yet they are very detailed. I admire your steady hands.
Joe Farina

sculpture

Post by Joe Farina »

Thanks Dave, Kiffdino, and Ahmet. The round thing does indeed "suck." It's a vacuum I use to get rid of the silicon carbide grit that sometimes needs to be sprayed on the sculpture. Not having to worry about the side or rear view makes things easier, but of course the perspective needs to be attended to. With regards to hand-steadiness, it's pretty much necessary to have firm support for the hands when doing the work. Though not visible in the photo, there's a 1/2-inch thick steel plate in the back, to which is attached two magnetic bases (like the Harbor Freight variety) and the sculpture is attached to those bases using the cap-nuts as shown. This way, it can be moved to various heights, and is quite stable. The base of the sculpture is useful for supporting the hand, or if desired, other magnetic mounts and rods can be added for any kind of support. I was able to draw from my holographic experience ;)

Also, while it might be possible to do this without magnification, I wouldn't want to try it. I use a variety of reading glasses. An experienced miniature sculptor once said that magnification isn't required, since it implies that the finished sculpture would need magnification for viewing also. But I totally disagree. In reality, the eye sees far more than the hand can accomplish with a reasonable amount of effort. With magnification, the mistakes become very obvious. It's a lot easier to see the problem, and more importantly, to correct it.
Tony

sculpture

Post by Tony »

Excellent as always Joe!
Two questions:
What material are these figures?
Are you planning a more broadband look and have the background fade out or more single freq?
Are you worried about the water and any movement?
oh wait that's 3 questions....
Thanks for sharing!!
Joe Farina

sculpture

Post by Joe Farina »

Thanks Tony. The figures are silver (fired "art clay silver"). I'm planning on a two-color hologram, as narrowband as possible. I did test the "water" (UV resin) and it turned out OK with some fairly long exposures with the 457nm laser on DCG. Nonetheless, I'm still somewhat worried about it.
holorefugee

sculpture

Post by holorefugee »

Very nice Joe! Having to do fine hand work I would say my hands are much better than my eyes and a bench mounted 5x stereo microscope is a requirement of fine carving. Also, learning how to tune a stereo microscope is very important if you have to work with it for hours.