sculpture

Present your work.
Johnfp

sculpture

Post by Johnfp »

Joe, that is simply amazing. I love your art work. YOU DA MAN!
Joe Farina

sculpture

Post by Joe Farina »

Thanks Colin. I did consider stereo zoom microscopes, but they are awkward and expensive for this kind of work. I like reading glasses from the dollar store. They come in the range of +1 to +4. If more magnification is needed, the lenses of one set can be attached to another set, to multiply the magnification. (I did this by removing the lenses from one dollar-store set, and fixed them in front of another set of glasses using small strips of aluminum tape to hold them in place.) So for example, if you did this with two +4 sets, you would get +16 magnification, which is pretty extreme for miniature sculpting. When doing the sculpture, your eyes need to be very close to the work with these glasses, which I find helpful.

Thanks for the kind words. John ;)
hologram4d

sculpture

Post by hologram4d »

Augie worthy!!! :ugeek:
Tony

sculpture

Post by Tony »

I've been putting some thought into this notion of art and holography Joe and had a question.
In making this sculpture did you say to your self this scene would make a good hologram.
Meaning was the design tailored in such a way that would utilizes the unique perspective that holograms give?
I noticed for example that you have the trees placed at an angle.
Are there shadow, contrast lighting, as well as paralax considertions?
There seems to be a condensed depth.
And if so, was DCG also a consideration? The color properties etc?

I guess I am asking if you appouched it from the hologram back to the sculpture, rather than the other way around.
Personally, I think an image plane would look good but I know how you feel about that ;) :D

Thanks for sharing and hope to see the final product soon!
Joe Farina

sculpture

Post by Joe Farina »

Tony, yes, this is only for a hologram, and that is the reason for the forced perspective, small size, and everything else. The evergreen trees are not placed at an angle, but I did not fill out their backsides, since they will only be seen from the front. When viewed from the side (which of course cannot happen in the final hologram) they look bent, but they don't look bent when viewed from the front. Assuming I can get a decent number of holograms that are of acceptable quality, I intend to make a limited edition of holograms, and destroy the sculpture. I have no intention of making image plane holograms.
Tony

sculpture

Post by Tony »

Joe Farina wrote: I have no intention of making image plane holograms.
Kinda thought that would get to you:)

So last question then, do you feel the sculpture itself should be able to stand alone as an art piece? Meaning do you feel it has artistic merit on its own? Or are you using the hologram to bring the "art" out?

Thanks for humoring me, I've actually started thinking more about this subject.
Joe Farina

sculpture

Post by Joe Farina »

Tony, those questions are kind of sending me into a tailspin.