My first successful H2

Present your work.
Jem

My first successful H2

Post by Jem »

Hi all

Just thought i'd pop this on here for history's sake :)

It's a (not particularly good) photo of my very first successful, recently completed H2 Hologram, and the culmination of an awful lot of work on my holography setup. It's a lovely golden colour and is nice and clear, although I now think the golden colour is a result of good luck rather than good management ;) . The 'real' image is excellent and the image really stands out from the film. However, the object lighting was a little uneven and that has resulted in the image fading away at the bottom. I have now improved my object lighting so this should improve my future holograms.

There's still loads to do but I now feel as though i'm making real progress. I would like to thank the many members here who have helped my to get this far, particularly John Sonley who has been an inspiration :)

Oh, almost forgot... Made with a 35mW HeNe, Fuji 8E75 film, exposure 5 seconds, 2 minutes dev in Pyrogallol, bleach in Acid Dichromate.

Cheers

Jem

Kiffdino

My first successful H2

Post by Kiffdino »

Congrats. nice work.
Dinesh

My first successful H2

Post by Dinesh »

Very nice! I assume it's a single beam Denisyuk?
Jem wrote: Fuji 8E75 film
Which one? Fuji or Agfa?
Jem wrote:although I now think the golden colour is a result of good luck rather than good management
You think anybody"s hologram is more management than luck? Most of the time, you chuck it into the developer and say a silent prayer to the Holo-Gods!

Anyway, you did good. It's a great feeling seeing your first H2! My first H2 was made in a garage in a small town called Hindhead in Surrey. I finished it at 3 in the morning and laid it by the bed. As soon as I awoke at 8 in the morning, I rushed out into the garden in my bathrobe and was staring at this brownish piece of glass with this stupid grin on my face, not realising I was in plain view of the all the cars on the main road to London during rush hour!
Jem

My first successful H2

Post by Jem »

Dinesh wrote:Very nice! I assume it's a single beam Denisyuk?
No, it's made from a H1 master transmission hologram that I made earlier. I used an collimated overhead reference beam and two side object illumination beams for the H1 Transmission Master. For the H2 I used an overhead collimated H1 illumination beam and diverging reference beam for the white light reflection hologram you see in the picture.
Dinesh wrote:Which one? Fuji or Agfa?
Bah... Too much excitement (and eagerness to tell the World of my success) ;), this one is from Agfa 8E75 film.
Dinesh wrote:You think anybody"s hologram is more management than luck? Most of the time, you chuck it into the developer and say a silent prayer to the Holo-Gods!
Yep, that's pretty much it :), I used some old solution I had and it came out this lovely colour. I'm now desparately trying to replicate it :D :roll: .
Dinesh wrote:Anyway, you did good. It's a great feeling seeing your first H2! My first H2 was made in a garage in a small town called Hindhead in Surrey. I finished it at 3 in the morning and laid it by the bed. As soon as I awoke at 8 in the morning, I rushed out into the garden in my bathrobe and was staring at this brownish piece of glass with this stupid grin on my face, not realising I was in plain view of the all the cars on the main road to London during rush hour!
I've looked at this what seems like a hundred times a day, i've analysed it from every angle and under every possible light source. I'm desparate to improve my holograms. I've spent so much time and effort trying to get my table stable enough for producing both transmission and reflection holograms, this is a massive leap forward for me. I really want to spend less time concentrating on my setup and more time concentrating on actually making holograms and getting good at it :)

Cheers

Jem
holomaker

My first successful H2

Post by holomaker »

yes nice job Jem .......... now you need to refine the skills in lighting, as the object could use several reflectors hidden around you object, and possibly to expand the referance beam a bit and shoot larger film! ;) (you have 35 mw to play with), find the table's maximum exposuer times and adjust your hologram size accordingly ! looks great! now get one to replay nice and bright in 532nm laser light and youll have a nice contact master! good work and keep going!
Dinesh

My first successful H2

Post by Dinesh »

Jem wrote:I used some old solution I had and it came out this lovely colour. I'm now desparately trying to replicate it
To orange shift it, try and add some sodium sulphite to the pyro. About 20 gms in 200 mls of water as a start. If you overdo it, the hologram will go green. In this case, cut back on the sulphite concentration.
Jem

My first successful H2

Post by Jem »

holomaker wrote:yes nice job Jem .......... now you need to refine the skills in lighting, as the object could use several reflectors hidden around you object, and possibly to expand the referance beam a bit and shoot larger film! ;) (you have 35 mw to play with), find the table's maximum exposuer times and adjust your hologram size accordingly ! looks great! now get one to replay nice and bright in 532nm laser light and youll have a nice contact master! good work and keep going!
Haha... Thanks :). I realise there's a very long road ahead, but i'm prepared, and I have heaps of enthusiasm to keep me going. I recognise the lighting's pretty average on this hologram, however, i've already made improvements to take care of some of that. Using more reflectors is a good idea, I also want to work on backlighting my object ;) .

I don't think i'll be making anything larger than 5" x 4" white light reflection holograms for some considereable time. However, having just purchased a large roll of the Agfa film that is 10" wide I think i'll soon be making 7" x 5" H1 transmission masters in an effort to increase the horizontal parallax of my H2's.

If I want to go green I have an 80mW C315m to call on... Oh, and a ~180mW Coherent 532-200 ring laser :shock: :D . However, i'm happy with my 35mW of red for the time being as i'm able to compare results directly with John Sonley (my 'mentor' and friend). The greens will come into their own once I have learned the disciplines of beam path matching, lighting, stability etc :roll:
Dinesh wrote:To orange shift it, try and add some sodium sulphite to the pyro. About 20 gms in 200 mls of water as a start. If you overdo it, the hologram will go green. In this case, cut back on the sulphite concentration.
Thanks Dinesh, i'll give that a try. I think golden colour holograms look really nice and that's what i'll be aiming for.

I really appreciate everyone's help and advice, it's been a long and torturous route to get to this stage mainly due to stability problems. Hopefully i've got over that hurdle now and can concentrate on the smaller nuances that will assist my progression, thank you to you all, this forum's great :D .

Jem
holomaker

My first successful H2

Post by holomaker »

Jem wrote:Haha... Thanks :). I realise there's a very long road ahead, but i'm prepared, and I have heaps of enthusiasm to keep me going. I recognise the lighting's pretty average on this hologram, however, i've already made improvements to take care of some of that. Using more reflectors is a good idea, I also want to work on backlighting my object ;) .
yes even using reflective foil glued to glass works well

I don't think i'll be making anything larger than 5" x 4" white light reflection holograms for some considereable time. However, having just purchased a large roll of the Agfa film that is 10" wide I think i'll soon be making 7" x 5" H1 transmission masters in an effort to increase the horizontal parallax of my H2's.

i only tell you this as your table will do a lot more, and i dont want to see you waste many years (as i did) shooting little holograms

If I want to go green I have an 80mW C315m to call on... Oh, and a ~180mW Coherent 532-200 ring laser :shock: :D . However, i'm happy with my 35mW of red for the time being as i'm able to compare results directly with John Sonley (my 'mentor' and friend). The greens will come into their own once I have learned the disciplines of beam path matching, lighting, stability etc :roll:
i make the suggestion as its a very easy thing to make contact copies in DCG, being ten times brighter than silver and the ability to produce many copies for all your friends !

Jem
Jem

My first successful H2

Post by Jem »

I'm a bit limited to the maximum size hologram I can make as my collimating mirror is only 8" diameter, it's an f3. This is ideal as my table is only 100cm x 52cm. If I got a bigger mirror the focal length would probably be much more and would make table geometry difficult.

As for DCG... :shock: , i'll spend a little more time improving my film processing skills first. Although I would like to have a go at DCG at some point in the future :)

Cheers

Jem