My latest H2

Present your work.
holomaker

My latest H2

Post by holomaker »

Nice work Jem ! bright and well balanced lighting, the movie helps also. This is a big improvement over your last H2!
Jem

My latest H2

Post by Jem »

holomaker wrote:This is a big improvement over your last H2!
Yes, it certainly is. All of a sudden everything seems to be coming together. It pains me to think that the root of all my problems has been stability, but hopefully that's behind me now and I can move on :)

My experiences really ought to be a lesson to anyone starting out in holography. Basically, get the stability issues sorted out first otherwise you'll never make anything better than average holograms (at best).

Cheers

Jem
Dinesh

My latest H2

Post by Dinesh »

Congratulations. Grasshopper, I see that you have overcome the The Four Noble Truths:
1. Life means suffering
2. The origin of suffering is attachment
3. The cessation of suffering is attainable
4. The path to the cessation of suffering

By using the Eightfold Path (http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/eightfoldpath.html). You are now well on the way to the Nirvana of Holographic Imagery. If you can make a hologram on the rice paper, grasshopper, it will be time for you to leave the temple.

PS...And Now for Something Completely Different:
Jem wrote:One thing that I did do on the second hologram was up the exposure time slightly. This seems to have shifted the end result towards the green instead of gold.
If you increase the reference, you need to decrease the exposure time. Since the reference is brighter than the object and the holographic process is non-linear, increasing the reference at the expense of the object does not keep the total light on the hologram constant but increases it. To that end, you need to decrease the exposure. If you do increase the exposure, you'll green-shift the hologram - as you've discovered.

My answer to burn-in would have been to decrease the reference. Burn-in means you have too much object. However, you ask 10 holographers how to change the image and you'll get 10 different answers! Be One with the Tao of Imagery....
Dinesh

My latest H2

Post by Dinesh »

Dinesh wrote:My answer to burn-in would have been to decrease the reference. Burn-in means you have too much object.
No, that's the wrong way around. Too much object means increase reference. The green shift means you may have overcompensated for the increase in ref.

I'm losing touch with this table stuff because I usually tell Joy (wife) that there's burn-in and I let her fix it since she knows which way to fix it. I mostly do a lot of mathematical modelling these days and rarely get on the table.

Anyway, apologies to you (and Kaveh!) for the mistake.
Jem

My latest H2

Post by Jem »

Haha... Thanks Dinesh :)

I realised it was the wrong way around and I assumed that you'd meant increase the reference. However, you posted the correction before I could question it.

At least I now understand how to green shift the holograms, although I do think I prefer the nice golden colour ;)

Thanks for the advice though and to kevah and others as well. It's all been accepted and will be implemented in future. I guess all I need now is lots more 'hands on' experience :)

Cheers

Jem