Peanuts!

Present your work.
Dinesh

Peanuts!

Post by Dinesh »

A friend got a refund check from the US government. She showed me the check and I couldn't resist thinking of making the hologram you see. I asked if I could borrow the check for a day and made the following hologram. The hologram, and the check, now proudly hangs on her wall at home!
Attachments
erased check.jpg
erased check.jpg (18.56 KiB) Viewed 4152 times
rzeheb

Peanuts!

Post by rzeheb »

Love it! :lol:
Kiffdino

Peanuts!

Post by Kiffdino »

nice, could you make a video of it if possible. Is it DCG ?
Jeffrey Weil

Peanuts!

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

The s/n ratio and the look of the color fringing on the peanuts looks like DCG. Just a guess.

Jeff W
Tom B.

Peanuts!

Post by Tom B. »

I was wondering where the check was relative to the peanuts and have concluded that the check was near the image plane (for clarity) and the peanuts were behind, using a double exposure for illusory transparency. Might be fun to use similar techniques to illustrate contrast between surface and depth. Maybe 2D ice pool and fish, tragically flawed emperor and burning villages, clown and skulls...
Dinesh

Peanuts!

Post by Dinesh »

Kiffdino wrote:nice, could you make a video of it if possible. Is it DCG ?
Thanks. Yes, it's dcg. As for video, I'm not sure where the hologram is since this was made several years ago. Most of our old holograms end up buried in odd cupboards. I'll see if I can find it.
Tom B. wrote:I was wondering where the check was relative to the peanuts and have concluded that the check was near the image plane (for clarity) and the peanuts were behind, using a double exposure for illusory transparency.
Not quite as complex as a double exposure, I'm afraid. We sandwiched the check between two 8x10 sheets of glass. The peanuts were glued on top the second piece of glass. The whole assembly was placed horizontally on the table on a black cloth and a plate was placed an inch or so above supported on long screws. It was shot with an overhead beam. We then turned it over to photograph it to give the peanuts that ghostly look.
Dinesh

Peanuts!

Post by Dinesh »

In the interests of honesty I must 'fess up! The check is real. I've just been told by Joy that we made an H1/H2 image planed hologram of the peanuts and laminated the real check into the hologram.

I made a hologram of nails sticking out of the plate as I described - gluing them to a piece of glass and laying it down horizontally. When you flip the plate, the nails have an eerie appearance of swaying like tall grass. My memory was that the peanuts were done similarly.