Litiholo kit holograms

Present your work.
Arturo

Litiholo kit holograms

Post by Arturo »

Hello everyone!

I have had some interesting insights on the last months regarding my problems to get anything at all in my plates. It seems I have been using very bad plates from Slavich (was it only my batch?), and never realized. I am now moving to some fuji film, but in the meantime I got the litiholo kit as a gift. Having heard mixed opinions I was not sure what to expect, but alas!, look at these:

The 'car' with the default set-up (transmission):

A smurf figurine, in a single-beam reflection set-up (lit with the laser):

High contrast and b&w pictures to improve visibility of the hologram:

I have also uploaded some videos to youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/arturocnc/videos), and the details are in my blog post (http://wp.me/pAUul-3p)
Kiffdino

Litiholo kit holograms

Post by Kiffdino »

Hey good job Arturo. In your youtube video discription I read tht you are using exposure times between 15-25 min.
Is that really necessary ? I dont know nothing about the liti film, but thats quite long.
Arturo

Litiholo kit holograms

Post by Arturo »

Kiffdino wrote:Hey good job Arturo. In your youtube video discription I read tht you are using exposure times between 15-25 min.
Is that really necessary ? I dont know nothing about the liti film, but thats quite long.
Thanks! Yes, those exposures are quite long! Litiholo says for transmissions 'start with 5 minutes, and if you do not get an image, try again increasing the exposure time'. They also claim that there is no risk of overexposing, so, I decide I'd be on the safe side, and start with high exposure times, and decided to go for 15' . Of course, I was afraid of movement, so I simply left the room. For the reflection, I had planned 20', but then time passed and in the end it was 25' when I got back.

I will have to try shorter times, and even more so with a higher power laser.

I was worried about stability, but these holograms are made on the floor (third floor apartment). The only 'vibration isolation' element present was a thin padding that the kit has underneath (actually not all the kit, but only the piece that holds the plate and the object). But I got not big deal from those. Maybe more from the reflection, since the object was actually outside of the padded element.
Arturo

Litiholo kit holograms

Post by Arturo »

I added the youtube videos of the holograms to the blog here: http://idlemindworkshop.com/2012/02/02/ ... hat-i-did/
Arturo

Litiholo kit holograms

Post by Arturo »

Hi,

litiholo has put a new project on Kickstarter to add color to their existing kit: http://kck.st/LNroYB
holomaker

Litiholo kit holograms

Post by holomaker »

Arturo, what was the output of the little laser supplied in the kit ? did you try using any other lasers on this film?
Arturo

Litiholo kit holograms

Post by Arturo »

holomaker wrote:Arturo, what was the output of the little laser supplied in the kit ? did you try using any other lasers on this film?
Hi, I don't have a meter for it, but I think it is a simple pointer-like around 2-4 mW. I will check later tonight what is laser labeling class it has. I have not yet tried other lasers... I think I will this week-end (I have a red and a green, both in the 50-75 mW range).
dannybee

Litiholo kit holograms

Post by dannybee »

very interesting, I got the 4x5 film, did a reflection test (contact copy ) with a dcg of a shell. it was dim at 20min exposer .. then i decided to do a wet process of a bath of ethyl Alcohol and it got brighter by 2 stops ..wowowowow... also like dupont it will brighten with a post heat treatment 100f :geek:
dannybee

Litiholo kit holograms

Post by dannybee »

I did some testing on the liti polymer and on duponts polymer, yes it is full color but like dupont it cant handle the lower frequencies so it doesn't handle defused objects very well, but like dupont to get the best results its better to use a dcg master where the angle of the object and reference beam difference is low. this is why dupont uses dcg master for its polymers . one way to get over this limitation is to have very reflective objects. also when doing liti polymer I found that a wet bath of Ethyl Alcohol will brighten up the hologram by 2 stops also heat will do this too.
Attachments
shell.jpg
Arturo

Litiholo kit holograms

Post by Arturo »

dannybee wrote:I also when doing liti polymer I found that a wet bath of Ethyl Alcohol will brighten up the hologram by 2 stops also heat will do this too.
Wow! I am not familiar with dealing with the polymers. Could you please explain a little how to do both processes? Thanks