Cherub and Dove

Present your work.
Holomark

Cherub and Dove

Post by Holomark »

Below are 8 images
The first 3 are the "best" images of Plate A
The hand and the flowers extend about 1 inch in front of the plate.
A1.JPG
A1.JPG (38.15 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
A2.JPG
A2.JPG (36.8 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
A3.JPG
A3.JPG (44.18 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
The next 4 images are of Plate B. The subject is the same as Plate A (Same H1), but for some reason I did not get a full image. The bottom left half of the plate are all black???
B1.JPG
B1.JPG (34.12 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
B2.JPG
B2.JPG (26.2 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holomark

Cherub and Dove

Post by Holomark »

Here is another view of plate B
B3.JPG
B3.JPG (32.22 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
A fourth view of plate B
B4.JPG
B4.JPG (27.52 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
This is the back side of a third plate. Plate C front view is similar to Plate B. When viewing the back side with white light it appears that I have a hologram of the H1 plate used to create this plate
C - Back.JPG
C - Back.JPG (39.43 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
holomaker

Cherub and Dove

Post by holomaker »

Hello Mark, i see nice progess, keep at it and you will progress quickly. As for your blue image i suspect your shrinking the emultion and possibly overexposing. If your H1 and H2 are the same size you need to keep you object quite small and your distance between H1 and H2 close 4-5 inches. Another suggestion is to start using film for your shots or learn to cut your 4x5 into four pieces(w/glass cutter) to do "test shots" once your camera is "tuned" otherwise you will be spending a lot $$$ on film plates.
Do you have book on holography? Good luck and keep going..................

Dave B
Holomark

Cherub and Dove

Post by Holomark »

Thanks Dave. Sometimes it just feels like one step forward and two backwards. I do, however, feel that I have made sufficient progress to invest in some equipment -like a light meter.
Plates are expensive. I thought about using film, but didn't want to switch until I thought I had a handle on what I am doing as that would add another variable. I figured that the "bad" plates that were wasted during the learning process can later be cleaned and I can then make some DCG. So my rationalization is that I am just investing in glass for the future... Of course the other reason is I am an optomist and expect that most of the plates used will end up as beautiful works of art!
Justin W

Cherub and Dove

Post by Justin W »

Howdy Holomark,

Nice job so far.

That blue coloring to your images probably feels like a real pain right now, but no worries, dude.
Shifting your reflection holograms into the green is SUPER EASY.
Like Dave mentioned, much of the blueness is probably the result of your bleach shrinking the emulsion (thinner emulsion > closer fringes > shorter wavelength).
All you need to do is puff your emulsion back up. Try mixing up a tray of distilled water with some citric acid dissolved in. Add just a few drops of dish soap or wetting agent, and you will have a perfect final bath for your holograms. A roughly-one-minute soak w/ light agitation as your final processing step will turn your blue holograms green.

If citric acid is unavailable or way difficult to find, Sorbitol is a viable alternative.
If no citric acid or Sorbitol, table sugar will work in a pinch.

Should be noted: with any of these three options, you will do well to squeegee the film or plate before leaving it to dry. A short piece of windshield wiper makes a fine film squeegee.

Keep up the good work.