first ruby success

Present your work.
Tommy

first ruby success

Post by Tommy »

About a year and a half ago, I bought an old JK lasers/Lumonics ruby laser to fix up and try some pulsed holography. This week I finally got a viable image.

Smiling with one's eyes closed is just weird... But my illumination is not yet eye-safe.

Two beam transmission, shot on some really old 10E75 (manufactured in 1993), processed in SM-6 (45 seconds) and ferric EDTA bleach (4 minutes). The laser might be doing about 440 mJ right now.

Are there any currently available plates sensitive to 694nm besides Ultimate?

Pictures of the apparatus are at http://www.bobdbob.com/~tjohnson/lab/20120616/ I'll post schematics, sourcecode, and my journal fixing the laser when I get them cleaned up.
rzeheb

first ruby success

Post by rzeheb »

Hey Tommy, that's awesome! I'm sure you will get many replies to your post but I, for one, think that buying, refurbing, and successfully using a pulsed ruby laser to make a portrait hologram is an amazing feat! Congratulation.

BTW, is that you in the hologram?
Tommy

first ruby success

Post by Tommy »

rzeheb wrote:Hey Tommy, that's awesome! I'm sure you will get many replies to your post but I, for one, think that buying, refurbing, and successfully using a pulsed ruby laser to make a portrait hologram is an amazing feat! Congratulation.
Thanks!
rzeheb wrote: BTW, is that you in the hologram?
Yea, that's me. I wasn't going to put a friend in it without going first... (-: "Sure its safe! Stand here I'll be over there..."
Ed Wesly

first ruby success

Post by Ed Wesly »

Congratulations! Will we be seeing you and the hologram at the conference?
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
dannybee

first ruby success

Post by dannybee »

this is wow great :D
kyodai

first ruby success

Post by kyodai »

Excellent job! WOuld love to hear and see more about your setup.
holomaker

first ruby success

Post by holomaker »

Super job Tommy ! Is this in Burst mode ? or is it amplifyed with an additonal ruby? Thanks for the link to your pictures as well!
Tommy

first ruby success

Post by Tommy »

Ed Wesly wrote:Congratulations! Will we be seeing you and the hologram at the conference?
Unfortunately I can't make it. Everything happens at the same time...
Tommy

first ruby success

Post by Tommy »

holomaker wrote:Super job Tommy ! Is this in Burst mode ? or is it amplifyed with an additonal ruby? Thanks for the link to your pictures as well!
The laser has a 4 inch rod in the oscillator, and an 8 inch amplifier. Its qswitched with a pockel cell. I rebuilt the control electronics, but not the power electronics. My qswitch driver unfortunately can't do double-pulse, nor even end a single pulse. So the laser free-runs after the qswitched pulse. The optics are also pretty much as originally manufactured. I did reduce the size of the axial mode selection aperture, when I thought it was tem01, but I want to try it again with the original one, and get some gain volume back.

http://www.bobdbob.com/~tjohnson/lab/20 ... 87.JPG.jpg

If you look at that image... From the lower right corner going left, alignment laser (hanging off the end of the rail), high reflector, pockel cell (shiny metal cylinder), etlon (white cylinder), polarizer (sticking out of the rod assembly), rod (under black cover, with white octagons taped to it (they are alignment disks)), mode selection aperture (on rod assembly), output coupler (white cylinder). On the far left, two turning mirrors (with alignment lasers behind them). Then along the top (left to right) spatial filter lens, spatial filter pinhole, amplifier (black box with more alignment disks taped to it).

The AA batteries power the alignment lasers. The lower right one is for doing the oscillator, the upper left one can make it through the amplifier and align down-stream optics. The lower left one was intended to do the oscillator, but didn't work very well and then I fried it...
Martin

first ruby success

Post by Martin »

Wow, very impressive - congratulations!