Annual Orange Box Mini-Symposium

Present your work.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Anybody here wanting to bring an Orange Box by to show off your work, please do come to the Annual Open House of The Home + Studio of E. Wesly & Sons when our Swedish Colleague Hans Bjelkhagen comes to visit!
Almost 30 years ago!  Dang!
Almost 30 years ago! Dang!
When: Sunday, February 9th, 2014, 1:00 PM CST until ?

Where: Home + Studio of E. Wesly & Sons, Chicago, IL 60638-1230

RSVP to me c/o the PM of this Forum for directions

Beer and Snacks Provided!

Possible Multi-Media Extravaganza includes PowerPoints on the International Symposia on Display Holography, Gallery 1134, and a photographic slide show of holographic artists from A to Z! Might even have a three colr holo set up functioning! Maybe even have the JK fired up!

See you there!

PS: Orange Boxes are the Agfa Film Boxes that ancient holographers used to transport their holograms in to soirees such as this!
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
jsfisher

Post by jsfisher »

So, what all went on on February 9? Pictures, or it didn't happen.
World's worst holographer
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

If it were up to me, it didn’t happen as I did not get around to snapping pictures as I was pretty busy hosting. But our new holography friend, Alan Frolichstein, did, and so here is a sampling of his images from the event.

Host and guest of honor in the living room:
HostGuestoHonor.jpg
Jeff Weil’s sampler of cards, etc. he has done, plus dichromated and polymerized Party Favors, courtesy of Rob Taylor of Forth Dimension, who mailed them to us as the weather was too rough for him to come up from Nashville!
PartyFavors.jpg
Back in the lab, John Klayer points out the fine points of his cave holo-camera to party-goers Sue Hill and her guest on the left, Jim Smith on the right, conceptual architecture renderer extraordinaire, a co-conspirator of mine from Harrington College of Design. We tried to make a hologram of the debris on the table the next morning but under-exposed slightly.
JohnCaver.jpg
John’s “Cave in a Book” is obviously blowing David Jonson’s mind!
DavidJ.jpg
For party fun, instead of Bobbing for Apples” or “Pin the Tail on the Donkey”, we set up and shot a true color, RGB, whatever color hologram on Liti/(Bayer?) Photopolymer, again courtesy of Rob Taylor. Here you can kind of see the He-Ne, the green beam, some of the blue, which is combined on the other side of the Styrofoam panel with the other two with a dichroic filter.
LasersRight.jpg
Somebody in the photo above is looking at the object and getting a pattern tattooed on their cheek.

Continued below, as one can only add 5 attachments.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

The rest of the story:

RGB lasers illuminate the object Hans brought, “The Russian Brooch”, with a diffraction worm sneaking up on it. Putting the pinhole in quashed that bugger! The background is a green color, not neutral.
RussianBrooch.jpg
Surprisingly the hologram came out, even with 5 people in the studio making no sound for 7 minutes! The benefits of enclosing the isolation table with 2” thick Styrofoam!

So if you couldn’t make it to this year’s event, there probably will be another next February as Hans passes through Chi-town from Photonics West. Don’t know the dates yet. Plus there might be another get-together this summer if Hans comes to the States for the Annual Ford Fairlane Festival. Tentative date for this event would be Sunday, June 22nd, 2014. Pencil it in, I will give a heads-up on this forum if it does occur!

PS: There are some other photos on the FB Holo Group page.
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Ed, if that's a photo of the hologram (the brooch) it's incredible. It looks too good for a hologram.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

No that is not the hologram, just the object lit with RGB combined beams.

The object and holograms of it went back to Wales with Hans, so I am not able to post any pictures of it at the moment, sorry.
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

Jeff teaching Ed and Hans how to dance the Twerk.
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

John, that picture is too small for anyone to see my famous twerking style :-)

Here's a few pics I took. How cold was it....this cold! Check out the height of the snow behind us. That's Hans B, John Klayer and EdW.
hansedjohnsnow.JPG
David J in some beams
davidj.JPG
Ed in some other beams.
edlasers.JPG
Hans and myself in front of a full color silver.
hansme.JPG
Holomark

Post by Holomark »

Jeffrey,
I can not read the name of the Yu-Gi-Oh card in the "partyFavors" picture. Can you please identify.
I am bummed that my schedule would not permit me to make this event. The wealth of knowledge in attendance is amazing and I would have loved to pick your brains - Just walking into the room would have likly improved the quality of my holorams. I suspect there were more than 100 years of experience (in holography) at the event. Thank you all for sharing your insight on this forum. I hope to meet up with you all in the future at an "orange box" or other event.
Mark
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

The card in front is called "Junk Berserker". It's a 5 layer, full color, 2d-3d with a flashing eye effect. As you tilt the hologram left and right the eyes on both heads flash brightly. The hologram just above it is also a Yugioh card. The character is called "Power Tool Dragon". It's has 6 full color layers. That's the raw embossed image with no printing or other conversions done to it yet. It's cut way down for the final card.

I don't know anything about the game but the name of the character is used during production so I'm familiar with that part of things.
berserker75.jpg