Want to buy: a hologram to demonstrate the divisibility principle

Sell or buy stuff.
Forum rules
Finding new homes for holography-related items is encouraged. Even commercial enterprises with goods to offer are welcome as long as it is in the spirit of members helping members. If a for-sale post reads like an infomercial, though, you have probably crossed the line of acceptability.
FinnAgain Zero

Want to buy: a hologram to demonstrate the divisibility principle

Post by FinnAgain Zero »

Hi there, I've got a request for a piece, and I'd like to know if anybody can quite me a price.

I'd like to buy a hologram for a video that I'm going to be making in order to demonstrate the divisibility principle. Glass would be preferred, but film would be okay too.

Essentially it would need to be able to hold an image that would show up in its entirety once the glass/film was either shattered or cut into small pieces. My understanding is that this would most likely only work with a transmission holograph, but if there's something else that works, I'd be happy to pay for that instead. If you could please quote me a price for a specific size, that would be great.

Thanks much!
Din

Re: Want to buy: a hologram to demonstrate the divisibility principle

Post by Din »

FinnAgain Zero wrote:Essentially it would need to be able to hold an image that would show up in its entirety once the glass/film was either shattered or cut into small pieces.
What is exactly the "it" that would be holding the image. Do you mean that an actual person would be holding up a hologram, or that you think of a human as a hologram holding up another hologram? In case it's the latter, you cannot make a holographic image in free space without some sort of medium. You can make a hologram which would show multiple copies of itself when broken, but it would have to be designed with the viewer in mind because the angle of view of each piece would be slightly different. It doesn't really matter whether it's a transmission (laser or white light) or reflection. What's important is the viewing condition.

What's the divisibility principle?
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Post by admin_jsfisher »

Have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjWznlGst9M

At the 1:15 mark and then at the 13:00 mark, TJ demonstrates what I think you are looking to do. Yes?
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Post by admin_jsfisher »

Oh, and by the way, FinnAgain Zero, welcome to the Holography Forum.

The regulars don't tend to post a lot on their own, but they are generally great at responding to someone else's query. Feel free to be that someone else.
;)
Valery

Post by Valery »

I f I get pictures 20- 100 pcs. or more it can do the hologram on one disc. When you move it horizontally under the laser beam on the screen you can see each picture. If you move vertically the picture on the screen does not change, so it can be cut into many strips horizontally and each will restore the same image.So I did for the exhibition of film on the screen man jumping high.It was amazing because the plate was transparent :lol:
If the picture will be one, then any piece of the hologram will show on the screen the same image with laser light.
It is not very difficult to do :)
Valery.
Din

Post by Din »

My feeling is that it's a little more complicated. I don't think it's just cutting up a hologram, or just projecting the image on some surface.
FinnAgain Zero wrote:it would need to be able to hold an image
What is "it" and how/who is "holding" an image? If the "it" refers to a hologram, ie a "holographic person", holding another hologram, this isn't possible. What's not often showed in movies and video is that a hologram has to be illuminated somehow. The image just doesn't spring out of nowhere. This is problem with the video of TJ, I don't think he ever mentions that the hologram has to be laser illuminated to be reconstructed. It may have been obvious to him, but it needs to be made clear.

Also, this concept of tearing up a hologrm, then have it reproduce the entire image on each piece, is not quite, or always, correct. It's only true if the entire image subtends your eye through the torn up piece. If you make a Denisyuk of a 3 inch tall porcelain cat about an inch from a 4x5 film, then tear up the film into, say, 8 pieces, all of the 8 pieces will not contain the whole cat image.
Valery

Post by Valery »

Hi.
All that I have written is true for transmission hologram.
And the picture is visible on the screen, if the hologram is illuminated by a laser beam.
Of course, in more detail, I would describe in Russian.
BobH

Post by BobH »

I'd send you a hologram to do as you say, but would refer you to someone local instead. where are you located?