Selling policy on holography forum

Sell or buy stuff.
Forum rules
Finding new homes for holography-related items is encouraged. Even commercial enterprises with goods to offer are welcome as long as it is in the spirit of members helping members. If a for-sale post reads like an infomercial, though, you have probably crossed the line of acceptability.
dannybee

Post by dannybee »

a_k wrote:Sure, personal sells only, no commerce. This is a strictly non commercial site. No ads, no spam, just a free space to discuss holography.

There has been a single exception to this, so to say the house dealer. Mainly out of respect for Sam Goldwasser and his gorgeous laserfaq website. The limits of the activitity had been clearly defined at the very beginning of the forum in personal dialog. It hasn't turned out too well i'm afraid. The forum is not here to generate income for anybody.

I won't have anyone welcoming newcomers in the Introduction section and trying to sell him lasers, nor selling anwhere else on the forum but here, nor adding "do you want to buy a laser" to every second sentence all over the forum. I don't tolerate pushers here.
will you rewrite this statement and amend the doc that bob has pointed out so that there is a consistence on the Forum pertaining to policy? it would make it more clear your intention pertaining this subject
a_k

Post by a_k »

Nothing has changed. This still is a place to discuss holography, freely. I have never edited any postings except in a very few cases when the original poster asked me to correct a mistake in the text, like adjusting a link. Never a single posting was deleted unless it was spam.

This place is here to discuss holography. I have a hard time understanding how reasonable (or reasonably crazy) people can be so gossip ridden and get kick started by someone clearly trying to defend his business and monetary interests alone and foremost.

As said before, i have very good reasons for this ban. Discussing them publicly and in detail would mean to publish communication received in private and this is not my way. I won't publish private emails on facebook like 142laser did, i won't badmouth anyone, no matter how intense the provocations are. Please just look at what has been said so far on the topic and get to your own coclusions.

I will not be forced or bribed to accepting massive commercial activity here, not by 142laser nor his "friends". The sales section is nice to have but not that essential. There are many places to buy things but mainly this place to discuss holography. Anybody missing 142laser very much, he lives on ebay, under the same handle and will gladly supply you with a laser. Want to buy a laser?
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Re: Selling policy on holography forum

Post by admin_jsfisher »

Sergio's recent post offering for sale photopolymer film reminded me that we should revisit the whole "selling policy" for this forum.

Just so we are clear, too, I have no problem with Sergio's post.

My general thoughts are that the buy/sell/trade section is a great benefit for the forum members. Much of what we use for this little profession or hobby can be hard to find or expensive, so if one member has some surplus equipment or supplies that may be of more value to another member, let's make a deal. Even a commercial entity with something of interest to our membership should be able to offer it to our membership...as long as it is respectful of the non-commercial status of this site and the not-for-profit status of our network host.

If it reads like a public service announcement, I will generally be ok with a for-sale post. If it comes off like an infomercial, we have a problem.

I think that captures my feelings on this. I don't won't something complicated, and there is no bright line separating good from bad.

What are the thoughts of others?
lobaz

Post by lobaz »

No problem, too. Any offer directly related to holography is welcome.
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Post by admin_jsfisher »

This is a good time to revisit the selling policy for the forum.

The site is no longer being hosted on my employee's network, and it is has now found it's home at my home, on my home Internet connection. Despite the change in hosting, though, I see no reason to change the policy. I repeat my comments from an earlier post:
My general thoughts are that the buy/sell/trade section is a great benefit for the forum members. Much of what we use for this little profession or hobby can be hard to find or expensive, so if one member has some surplus equipment or supplies that may be of more value to another member, let's make a deal. Even a commercial entity with something of interest to our membership should be able to offer it to our membership...as long as it is respectful of the non-commercial status of this site and the not-for-profit status of our network host.

If it reads like a public service announcement, I will generally be ok with a for-sale post. If it comes off like an infomercial, we have a problem.
I am open to discussion on the topic, but this remains my default position.