Selling policy on holography forum

Sell or buy stuff.
Forum rules
Finding new homes for holography-related items is encouraged. Even commercial enterprises with goods to offer are welcome as long as it is in the spirit of members helping members. If a for-sale post reads like an infomercial, though, you have probably crossed the line of acceptability.
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

In light of the recent events I think it is necessary to have some guidelines to sell here on the forum. Ahmet can you give us some guidelines on the do's and dont's of selling here? Maybe it could be made as a sticky and pasted on the top of the for sale/trade thread ?
a_k

Post by a_k »

Sure, personal sells only, no commerce. This is a strictly non commercial site. No ads, no spam, just a free space to discuss holography.

There has been a single exception to this, so to say the house dealer. Mainly out of respect for Sam Goldwasser and his gorgeous laserfaq website. The limits of the activitity had been clearly defined at the very beginning of the forum in personal dialog. It hasn't turned out too well i'm afraid. The forum is not here to generate income for anybody.

I won't have anyone welcoming newcomers in the Introduction section and trying to sell him lasers, nor selling anwhere else on the forum but here, nor adding "do you want to buy a laser" to every second sentence all over the forum. I don't tolerate pushers here.
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

a_k wrote:This is a strictly non commercial site. No ads, no spam, just a free space to discuss holography.
I'm in favor of this policy.

I think it's clear that Phil's purpose in participating in the forum is, first and foremost, to sell lasers. However, many people have obviously been quite happy to see these lasers for sale, and to purchase them. So there is a dilemma here. On the one hand, we have "satisfied customers" who buy and use the lasers. On the other, we have people who don't want to see such a vigorous "hard sell" so frequently in different parts of the forum.

Ultimately, I support Ahmet's decision, and I don't think he took it lightly. From what I gather, Phil was given an opportunity to "tone things down," but didn't take it. (Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.)

I would like to see Phil post OCCAISONALLY in the "for sale" section. I think about once a week is enough. If he has multiple lasers to sell, then he can list them all in one post. Although this is only a 3 month ban, I'm afraid some serious "barbs" have been shot, both here and on the facebook group. So Phil's future participation in this forum is an open question. I hope some kind of reconciliation can take place after things have cooled down.
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Joe Farina wrote:
a_k wrote: So Phil's future participation in this forum is an open question. I hope some kind of reconciliation can take place after things have cooled down.
Good words Joe ! Well im kind of stuck in a hard place here as I've sold lots and lots of stuff thru the holography forums over the years. I like the idea Joe, being a possible way is to post once a week to try and minimalize traffic...

There is a dynamics that Phil has/had added to the forum, its the drive for constant newer, better cheaper lasers. this technology is on the clock constantly and needs constant renewal..... Sam, Phil, Wolfgang and others (ill include myself as well), are always on the lookout for that laser no one figured out yet that it's good for holography. With Sam and Phil out, it will be a little more lonely around here !
BobH

Post by BobH »

There is nothing "pushy" about Phil's singular post in the "introductions" thread, made 6 months ago. And Phil's thread about the coherence length of long lasers was eye-opening for me and a few others I'm certain, despite a little heat in it from disagreement and misunderstandings, all resolved in the thread without insults (at least serious ones).
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannybee

Post by dannybee »

a_k wrote:Sure, personal sells only, no commerce. This is a strictly non commercial site. No ads, no spam, just a free space to discuss holography.

There has been a single exception to this, so to say the house dealer. Mainly out of respect for Sam Goldwasser and his gorgeous laserfaq website. The limits of the activitity had been clearly defined at the very beginning of the forum in personal dialog. It hasn't turned out too well i'm afraid. The forum is not here to generate income for anybody.

I won't have anyone welcoming newcomers in the Introduction section and trying to sell him lasers, nor selling anwhere else on the forum but here, nor adding "do you want to buy a laser" to every second sentence all over the forum. I don't tolerate pushers here.
well at least your talking about what upset you, so we can understand, and also see how the use car salesman approach all over the forum would be intimidating. so we do now have both options here and facebook
dannybee

Post by dannybee »

BobH wrote:There is nothing "pushy" about Phil's singular post in the "introductions" thread, made 6 months ago.
yes he dosn't seem pushy...
BobH

Post by BobH »

This is what I found in the record, regarding sales in this section:

cnioptics

by a_k » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:07 am

Cnioptics, this section of the forum is intended to be used to buy/sell/trade items, not to advertise your companies existence.

Commercial posts will be tolerated only as long as they offer specific items of interest to the members.

We are not a PR platform. Please bear this in mind for your further posts.

I've noticed that you have registered using at least two usernames. cnioptics has been deleted, cnilaser is still active. Please pm me if you have any questions.

Ahmet
dannybee

Post by dannybee »

was this the only link on the subject bob? and can you share the link?
BobH

Post by BobH »

And this (text highlighted in bold by me):

Re: holographyforum.org

by a_k » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:43 am

Colin, thank you for the legal advice.

Moderation means taking responsibility for each posting. To do that is not affordable for most private persons, including me. Having each posting approved delays the access to the information for all.

Forced membership, even to be able to read postings, is a quite drastic measure, which makes the access to the information difficult.

For the time being i'm prepared to bear the technical, administrative and legal burden of this forum. The aim is to provide the highest possible degree of freedom to express thoughts. No restrictions are part of the design. Spam and offending postings will be removed. Other than that, i'll comply with the swiss laws.

I don't like the commercial "social networks" and their motivations. The internet gives the possibility to organise oneself without having to be ruled externally. What i'm trying to offer is a place ruled by its participants. I gave the initial toss, feel free to co-decide where to go from here.
Ahmet