This is hysterical!

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
holorefugee

This is hysterical!

Post by holorefugee »

As far as the problem with the word "hologram" goes, we will never fix the damage that was done by the marketing of the 80's. "Hologram" became a selling point and not a technology. As holographers we sold out to the marketers for the 6 figure checks in the '80s and now we have to pay thre price. Our customers do not know or care what the word hologram means. We either have to live with it or make a new word.
Dinesh

This is hysterical!

Post by Dinesh »

Hi Colin
You're probably right! No one actually wants to discuss holography from a wider perspective, simply post problems that require solutions or post solutions and ask for opinions. Not that there's anything wrong with posting questions (let me hasten to add before the folks with the pitchforks show up at my front door!), but I always thought it odd that the holographers forums are all apparently to discuss holography, but instead have become a ginormous how-to book. I usually get this "sheesh" reaction when I try to discuss holography from a social viewpoint or a scientific viewpoint or even (gawd help us!) from an artistic viewpoint. The physics forum that I sometimes look at contains separate sections for help with specific problems and for general discussions of interesting topics or viewpoints, with no specific request. They even break it down further so if you want to start a discussion on, for example, the search for Higgs, that's separate from a discussion on inertia.

Well, as Kaveh once told me, holography is not going to give us World Peace and a safe sanctuary for whales, but then, neither is the search for Higgs! Take that how you will!