Dinesh

High speed photography

Post by Dinesh »

All the sort of things that you always wanted to do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UZ-e2SkeMI
Kiffdino

High speed photography

Post by Kiffdino »

Thanks for the Link Dinesh, I like it alot, especially the fireworks inside the lving room.
But why did the bottle of wine explode so violently in the microwave, this is giving me to think.
i mean what can happen with my IPA in the microwave during DCG development :shock:
Kiffdino

High speed photography

Post by Kiffdino »

ah ok they left it in for 25 min
see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... nqOyPTeUa0#!

i only do 4 min at 400w
Johnfp

High speed photography

Post by Johnfp »

I have never been a fan of heating a flamable and combustible liquid in the microwave. When i was doing DCG I would just put a heating pad (the ones you get for a back ache) under the tray. If you get the one that has multiple heat setting (like 3 or 4) then you can control the temp pretty good and the hottest setting works quite well and is plenty hot enough for DCG processing. There are hundreds out there but I am including a link just for clarity on what I am speaking of.

http://www.dsosi.com/en/images/stories/heatingPad.jpg
Dinesh

High speed photography

Post by Dinesh »

Kiffdino wrote:i mean what can happen with my IPA in the microwave during DCG development
Johnfp wrote:I have never been a fan of heating a flamable and combustible liquid in the microwave.
Actually John and Kiffdino, I don't think the microwaves in a microave oven will really affect alcohol per se. The wine blew up because of the high water content. A microwave oven works because water is a polar molecule and so will line up with an electric (E) field. If the E field is rapidly changing, the water is heated by causing the (polar) water molecule to rotate very rapidly as it tries to keep up with the rapid oscillations of the E field in the microwave radiation. Alcohol is not a polar molecule, so pure alcohol wil not be affected by the microwave radiation, but there's no such thing as pure alcohol, the purest available is 96%. This means there's always some water present, but whether it's sufficent to heat the alcohol is open question - I believe not. But, unless you absolutely know that the alcohol you have has a low water content, I suggest you refrain from trying!

However, the idea of trying to develop a dcg by putting it an alcohol bath and zapping it in a microwave oven - now that's intriguing! For a perfect dcg, set microwave to "High" for 10 seconds???
Tony

High speed photography

Post by Tony »

I have nuked 100% IPA and get it to around 50C without much problem. I don't think it is harmful but would not suggest it as a matter of safety. So you kids who make DCG at home, don't do it!
I also did it with a DCG hologram in the bath thinking it might drive more water out but never saw a diffence.
Danny suggested nuking a DCG plate as well which I tried using intervals of 20 seconds to see if there was a difference, nothing happen except the glass cracked after a while.
Tony

High speed photography

Post by Tony »

Tony wrote:I have nuked 100% IPA and get it to around 50C without much problem. I don't think it is harmful but would not suggest it as a matter of safety. So you kids who make DCG at home, don't do it!
I also did it with a DCG hologram in the bath thinking it might drive more water out but never saw a diffence.
Danny suggested nuking a DCG plate as well which I tried using intervals of 20 seconds to see if there was a difference, nothing happen except the glass cracked after a while.
Dinesh wrote: For a perfect dcg, set microwave to "High" for 10 seconds???
I believe I have a preset button on my microwave for this :)