Posting pictures

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
Dinesh

Posting pictures

Post by Dinesh »

In looking back for some pictures, I find I have quite a large collection of pictures that may be interesting as a record of holographers over the last 12 years or so. These don't go back as far as the ones that Ed was showing at ISDH, but they may be interesting. There are pictures of Mike Klug showing his early holograms, Denisyuk chatting to Julia Roberts? (not sure of the name) at Pierre's party, Leith at the 2000 Austria conference, Nadia, and possibly Steve, trying to drink from a vodka glass perched on the elbow and many more.

I'd like to post these pictures on the internet so that anyone may view them, but I'm not familiar with posting pictures on the internet. I'm told there's something called Flicker, but apparently you have to be a member of Flicker and presumably not everyone is (I'm not). So, my question: Is there a way of putting these pictures up so that anyone may view them without being a member of anything or needing to input personal data to gain access.

Perhaps, if this is possible, such a site may form a nucleus of a pictorial history of holography.
Jeffrey Weil

Posting pictures

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hello Dinesh,

There's plenty of photo sharing sites on the net, including Flickr. You will need to register to use any of them but doing so is free and you don't have to include personal information.

They need a "name" on your account to identify it from others but it doesn't have to be your legal one. Pick any name you'd like. Such as "D. Mathematician". They don't care.

You might need to confirm your email address by clicking on a link they send you in an email after you register. You should use a "junk" email account for this. A separate free email account that's only used for stuff like this where you might get a lot of junk mail. Yahoo mail is a good choice. Once again you'll need to register but it's free and you don't have to provide any real information about yourself.

That's it, you now have an account at any of the photo sites you'd like without giving them your real name or email address. No personal information needed.

Jeff W
zipsister

Posting pictures

Post by zipsister »

Stick them in a powerpoint and throw them onto YouTube.
Dave
Dinesh

Posting pictures

Post by Dinesh »

Jeff, thanks. My point was: do you have to be a member of Flicker to see the pics. I had intended that anyone with no membership could simply view them. At any rate, I'll probably go with Flicker since there seems to be a lot of people who've recommended it. This is my weekend project. This, and a study of Schott noise. Joe Farina's post about noise got me wondering on the exact nature of noise in holography. Then I wondered if there's a connection between a kind of "holographic Schott" noise and low level reciprocity failure. But, that's another story.

Zipsister: Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought of it, but my understanding is that You Tube videos have to be 3 minutes or less. This means that if I showed each picture for 5 seconds, I'd only be able to show 36 pictures. I must have a few hundred.
Jeffrey Weil

Posting pictures

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hey Dinesh,

You can set your flicker page however you'd like. Private or public. If the photos are public anyone can see them. No registration needed.

Youtube will allow you to post longer videos after you've posted a few. Now that I have a decent amount of videos up they give me 15 min max on the length.

Jeff W
Dinesh

Posting pictures

Post by Dinesh »

Did it! It took me five hours of button pushing, but they're all up! Anyway, they're here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/din_p/

There are about 200 pictures so I've organised them into events, so that they can be seen in bite-sized chunks. These are to the left of the row of pictures marked Holopak 2008 etc. I suppose all of you know that it's possible to view these "sets" as a slideshow (I didn't until hour 4.5, when I happened to notice a button that said "slideshow").

Also, these pictures can be seen all at once, complete with title. In a lot of these pictures, I don't remember the names of the people in them (terrible memory for names!). So, if you recognise yourself and I've marked you as "unknown", apologies! If anyone can pass me names of people they do recognise, I'll try and fill them in. I assume that I can change the titles of these pictures.