Coolest Moire patterns I have ever seen

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Ed Wesly wrote:Why not try making something totally different, something no one has ever seen before? And can only be realized through holography?
Wouldn't that be Computer Generated Holograms? ( http://www.opticsinfobase.org/col/abstr ... -7-12-1079 )
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Jeffrey M

Post by Jeffrey M »

I have one of the moire books, and it is one of the coolest things on my bookshelf. But it's beauty is partly from it's simplicity. Plastic, paper, and lines doing incredible things.
I tend to agree with Ed this time, and I am pretty sick of expensive holograms of cheap things ie. $400 hologram of $10 hammer. And to get the hammers flying at me, how many millions of dollars have gone into "ceramic cats"?
On the other hand, a fabulous new artwork may come out of someone, so go for it, if cheap blinky 2D holograms are really your goal. But it looks like lenticular might be a better medium. To do the same thing.
I would hope for something better for holography content. Content is almost always what is lacking. This is fool's gold. I have a shelf of that, too.
jacques

Re: Coolest Moire patterns I have ever seen

Post by jacques »

Hi, I’m sorry to bring back this old post but I just found it and I really have to correct something.
Ed, I guess the hologram you described in you sept.6 2012 post, is the small copy (34cm X 24cm) of my book hologram “Tractatus Holographis” you saw during the ISDH 2012. The size of the original hologram is 60cm X 40cm (http://www.i-jacques.com/tractatusfr.html). By reducing the size of the hologram but keeping the holographic cells size (0.8mm) this affect the level of detail. So, yes the small one is a bit blurry, and the smaller font makes the text difficult to read. However, this is the first time I read or hear someone saying that “it was so blurry, it was an eyesore! ...”. This is clearly an exaggeration.
Below is a close-up photo of a detail of the original hologram where you can see that it is sharp. You can easily read the text even with a serif font, that is if you can read renaissance french of course.
Since you and I met and talk everyday during the ISDH, I would have preferred getting your comment directly and not through a forum where you present it as an example of a hologram that shouldn’t exist.
As for moiré effect in holography, I did a few tests with moiré and patterns when we developed the holographic imager and it is a tricky thing. The holographic cells structure is a grid and this structure will interact with the patterns used as content and consequently it may cause or affect the moiré. Distances and angles will also have a visible impact and produce variations on the desired effect. We need more experiments with this to either control or correct moiré effects.
lobaz

Re: Coolest Moire patterns I have ever seen

Post by lobaz »

I would not say "eyesore", but it is a fact that a small Zebra/Geola hologram lying next to a simple classical hologram (e.g. a single beam reflection) looks like an ASCII art next to a contemporary computer graphics imagery. These holograms look a bit better from a distance, say several meters, and must be therefore quite big.
Yes, I know all the pros and cons of Zebra/Geola holograms and why it is difficult to get better spatial resolution. I also understand you, Jacques, that displaying at least a small copy is better than nothing. But I also understand why such an experienced holographer as Ed was disappointed by the technical side of a generated hologram. It is possible to be excited that such holograms are possible to make, and it is possible to be disappointed at the same time that resolution and brightness is so bad compared to a good classical hologram.