Coolest Moire patterns I have ever seen

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
Johnfp

Post by Johnfp »

Wow, would I love to be able to make these. It would be cool to incorporate these with holography, if you know what I mean.

http://www.killsometime.com/videos/9227 ... -Illusions
142laser

Post by 142laser »

Very cool. So Ed Wesley, can this be done with multiple holograms? :) Yes right? :)
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Maybe sometimes the best thing to do is to just leave the thing as is and not holograph it!
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

John, make a transparency of something with circular symmetry. Let's say a fan. Make a hologram of the transparency and call it a. Then shift the transparency very slightly, let's say about 1/8 in and make a separate hologram of the shifted transparency and call it b. Now rotate the transparency very slightly, say about a degree or two from its original (a) position, either make a new transparency of the rotated fan or rotate the transparency you already have in the holder and make a third hologram and call it c. It's important to shift the transparency back to the original position before you rotate. Align a with b and shift b side-to-side or align a with c and rotate c slightly. You may see this effect reproduced. I suggest that you make these three holograms as laser transmission holograms ("H1s") because the laser will reconstruct both your holograms in the same way. If you make them reflections, the swelling factor may be different in a, b and and c and this will degrade the effect.
142laser

Post by 142laser »

Hi Ed, I can't believe YOU said that...:) I agree the kiss rule is sound but in principle...:) :)
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Ed Wesly wrote:Maybe sometimes the best thing to do is to just leave the thing as is and not holograph it!
Oh no on contraire, Sir Ed ! I agree with John on this one, A High School student @ the LTC (Laser Teaching Center, SUNY Stonybrook), did a very nice discussion on Morie patterns and there uses. I had the very same thoughts while listening to this very smart student, I am now thinking of using digital over lalpping images on a green screen to see the movements.....

Stay tuned on that one !

Here is a link to her paper and there are good downloads for modeling

http://laser.physics.sunysb.edu/~ariana/poster.pdf
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

I once did a custom moire pattern in a security hologram for the Polish subway system. It came out pretty cool. I used two custom, strange, screens when I shot the hologram. I ended up with a moire in one of the object elements that would have been pretty hard to reverse engineer. At least not without a pretty decent effort to write some software to figure it out. Not easy given the hologram was changed every 3-4 months. I only did this effect that one time, the next holo had something else going for it.

If you really want to do stuff like this try using a stereogram printer. If you put in the correct images you'll get a pretty good approximation. With some creative effort most animation effects that play back with horizontal motion can be replicated with a stereogram printer.

You don't actually have to do "stereo" or 3d at all with a stereogram printer. The famous Denny's baseball cards that Simian made were flat animations.

Jeff W
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Phil said, "Hi Ed, I can't believe YOU said that..."

Why can’t you believe that I would have said that? Not everything deserves to be holographed!

I learned that you still get paid for your consulting time even if you talk someone out of making a hologram! Maybe you won’t get the big production money, but then again, would the project even be producible or satisfy the customer?

I certainly have nothing against moiré patterns in holograms. One of my favorites of all time is a piece by Dan Schweitzer which has a moiré pattern made by the white plastic plate rack as found in the old Agfa 4 by 5 plate boxes in the foreground. (The Seed, http://www.jrholocollection.com/collect ... itzer.html)

But in this case, this cool modulated moiré pattern mentioned above might not successfully transfer into the holographic realm. Look at where the action occurs, it's in the overlap of the regularly spaced bars with the "magic pattern". Why waste a medium whose main attribute is three-dimensionality on a trick which relies on clever superpositioning in contact?

We see moire patterns all the time, bannisters on stairs, fenceposts, silk, etc., and to mock them up holographically is well and good. But if one were to attempt these particular patterns in a hologram the pay off might not be there, especially because of the fuzziness of holographic images.

Maybe it’s because I’m getting up in years I try to make wise choices for all the work involved in getting the image to pop. Who wants to bother with making “true color” holograms of porcelain objects like a couple on a park bench that can barely be seen in sunlight? Why not try making something totally different, something no one has ever seen before? And can only be realized through holography?

Again, it is not necessary to holograph everything. Here are a couple of examples from the holographic art world. This piece by Melissa Crenshaw and Sydney Dinsmore, their epic piece on the Chinese revolution circa 1990, illustrates my point. See below.

This thing was hanging in the ’91 ISDH, and I was wondering what was the deal with the fan. Looking at it closer, I realized that they had made the fan with a photograph of Tiananmen Square, but you really had to look at it hard to see what was going on. If they had just made the fan and put it on display the message would have been so much clearer.

Another example is the piece by Jacques DesBiens that was raved about on deFreitas’s site (RIP). I couldn’t find a link to it quickly on line, but it was a pretend book like as if Leonardo da Vinci had invented holography. (Somebody help me out on this with a citation as I have to go teach a class in a few ticks!) I had only seen single frames of a very clever idea, but when I saw the real thing, it was so blurry, it was an eyesore! Too much stuff was going on, left eye and right eye were not seeing the same thing, so you had to look at it with one eye, it would have been much more successful to me to either have left it as a computer graphic or better yet to actually make the book!

In closing, not everything needs to be holographed! Sometimes (heaven forbid) reality is so much more satisfying than looking through a funky medium or screen!
Attachments
9111a.jpg
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Also, as usual, try making the thing, like a hologram with moire, and see how it turns out. Sometimes it doesn't look as good as it does in the mind's ee.

But sometimes it looks even better, or unlike anything previously done!

And yes, the high school report does look impressive! But it's not holographic. Yet.
Johnfp

Post by Johnfp »

My thought is to use the slit mask at the plates plane and the animated 3-d object in the background such that as you move from left to right the 3-d object moves. All this without the need for the multiple exposures of a stereogram.

The object in the background could be at an angle to the plate such that it displays some aspects of depth.

A double exposure with two different object at different angles such that they interacted would also display a cool effect.
animated3dmoire.jpg
animated3dmoire.jpg (31.87 KiB) Viewed 5737 times