What I did on my summer vacation

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Besides going to the ISDH @ MIT.

I learned how to manipulate another beautiful yet useless imaging process. Using my powers of persuasion, I convinced the powers that be at Harrington College of Design to pick up the tuition tab for this workshop at the beautiful Photographers’ Formulary site in Montana. Then they can brag that not only do they have a photo history teacher that collects daguerreotypes, but also makes them!

Check out this YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_swRk9J ... e=youtu.be

You can see me at around 2:40 or so in the darkroom, my ride, the incomparably hip BMWR1100R as the first test shot at around 3:10, portions of me in that same minute, and the final daguerreotype of my ride at the end.

Four of the 9 daguerreotypes I made there are currently on exhibit at the HCD Faculty show, including a better framed d-type of the bike! Why not make a 19th century photo of a 21st century machine!

I gave everyone at the workshop a bunch of holograms, and made a contact copy of a zone plate on a daguerreotype plate, which sort of came out. Need to have more time to experiment!
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

I saw some 19th century daguerreotypes at the Snite Museum at Nortre Dame, and they were very nice, and in good condition. They are a lot different (and to me much better) than ordinary photographs.
Johnfp

Post by Johnfp »

STUDENT:
Okay. The first day on my vacation. What I did on my summer vacation. On the first day on my vacation. I woke up. Then. I went downtown. To look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore. The second day on my summer vacation. I woke up. then I went downtown. To look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore. The third day on my summer vacation. I woke up...

TEACHER:
Now that`s fine, young man!

STUDENT :
...Then I went downtown to look for a job...

TEACHER:
Now that`s fine, young man!

STUDENT :
...Then I got a job. Keeping people from here from hangin out out in front of the drugstore. The fourth day on my...

TEACHER:
Young man? Young man? Young man!? SHUT UP!!!!! Thank you.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Funny, John, but, if I may say so, you may be behind the times. These days they no longer hang out in front of the drugstore (what's one of those? You mean like Walgreen?). They sit in front of a computer, log onto facebook, and describe to all the world the exact kind of hamburger they like, believing that anyone actually cares. All those other people, who also may have hung out in front of drugstores, them chime in on facebook with their favourite hamburger. Summer? You mean that's something outside where it gets warmer or something? I dunno, I haven't been outside in a while, too busy telling the world all about me!
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

I also had a good summer, starting off with ISDH 2012, I then helped a Grad student @ SUNY Stony brook shoot a few holograms of a very cool Engineered Diffuser, eventually he wanted to run it in reverse so he could send in a diffuse beam and get a collimated beam exiting the hologram. Playing around with this neat little device spurred an idea to use this as a RGB combiner, (stay tuned on that one)! I was also asked to provide a laser for illuminating a Bruce Nauman hologram (circa 1970s),on display @ the New Museum located here in NYC. I used a red 635nm diode laser, they asked another "expert" to bring in his diode laser to try and improve the feeble image, but to no avail, mine won hands down (i think his output was 650nm)........... the max allowed mw was 30-40mw, so i tuned mine 60mw or so and then pulsed the output so it was half on/half off, they never picked up on it using an analog power meter !

Nice ED, what could be greener than Makin holograms with the sun !
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johnfp

Post by Johnfp »

It a quote from a comedy album. You either know it or not. LOL. As soon as Ed posted that, this was the first thing that popped into my mine.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Summer? You mean that's something outside where it gets warmer or something? I dunno, I haven't been outside in a while, too busy telling the world all about me!
Aren't you describing yourself?
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Ed Wesly wrote:
Summer? You mean that's something outside where it gets warmer or something? I dunno, I haven't been outside in a while, too busy telling the world all about me!
Aren't you describing yourself?
Heck no! If I was describing myself, I'd expect the world to know all about me! There would be no need to tell them!

However, I'm too modest to tell you how modest I am. I leave that to others. I have no need to post videos of myself or my work. I leave that to others, too. Perfection is something that so few of us have....
dannybee

Post by dannybee »

wow very nice.....does he sell copies for teachers to show a photography class?