My Art and Wine

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
Tony DCG

My Art and Wine

Post by Tony DCG »

Some months ago a young woman walked by my cubical and saw some of my DCG holograms. She was very excited by them and said that her sister worked at a local Bay Area Art and Wine and suggested that I submit my work. Not thinking much about it I decided what the heck. Well they excepted (I guess it wasn't that hard). So I went to work producing holograms and lighting systems on whatever spare time I had (which isn't much). To be honest I was hesitant in sharing my journey with the forum since I did not want to give the impression I was going "pro" but after thinking about it I thought it offered some interesting thoughts.
So I produce like 50 holograms, some simple inexpensive coins, some a bit more technical and at least for me artistic. After more work that I imagined the day came, I set up my booth and waited. At first not many people. A few nice folks coming by and chatting. By the afternoon, when the sun helped my limited lighting system there were a steady stream of people.
Since I work in a vacuum, meaning I only show my work to family and friends I don't get much feedback. But with so many people of all ages, gender and races it was pretty amazing in that many people were blown away by them. They loved the coins and the image plane holograms as well as the shells. I had many people go and get their parents, spouses or friends to come see them. But it was the was kids who were the best, it was a joy to watch their expressions and answer their questions. I had a dozen or so small holograms that I gave to them and they acted I if I gave them a treasure.
Now for the predictable part ;) I didn't sell all that much. I didn't have expectation so I was not happy nor sad about it. I knew going in that there were many many better holograms than mine were attempted to be sold and had mixed results. Friends were nice about it consoling that the economy was down and the Art and Wines are more crafts than art (and a lot of beer). I am sure if I deep fried my holograms they would have sold much better. Nice folks who do this sort of thing all the time said that in these events, you have 8 seconds to grab their attention, then they move on. So with the limited lighting and outdoor setting it was difficult to bring people inside the booth. But again I was not and am not bummer about it. To me it was a goal. Make 50+ holograms (and lighting systems) and get a booth set up.
So did I go away not wanting to make holograms anymore? Do I think there is no market out there?
First, I really can't wait to get back in the lab. After I clean up the nuclear bomb that I made in doing this, I came up with some great ideas I want to try out. As for the market, I can't answer it. All I can say is that there were dozens of people who I can honestly say were deeply affected by the experience of holding a hologram, or passing their hand through an image while their brain said was there something there and wasn't. How that translates to making money, I may never know.
Will I ever try it again? I'm not sure. I think I will have to ponder that for a while. I come to understand that things that are beautiful or amazing does not guarantee success. Even some artist who came by said they hated me because this art was something truly different. Even I saw great art but never gave it a thought to buy it. After all where would I put it? Does it match my Hello Kitty post art? So just because it is great doesn’t mean you need to buy it.
Thanks for listening
Tony
Johnfp

My Art and Wine

Post by Johnfp »

Hey Tony, great story, thanks for sharing. Keep On DCGing....
holomaker

My Art and Wine

Post by holomaker »

Yes nice Reading Tony, Thanks for carrying the holography torch, it's kind of like mother hood,as its a thankless job, and you do rarely get to show outsiders ! Speaking of that, what about that traveling display you spoke of Tony, will it ever haappen?
Tony DCG

My Art and Wine

Post by Tony DCG »

Thanks guys

I can't recall if i offered the travelling hologram show. I have a feeling that there will not be too many replies.
I will post it under contest and see if we get any bites.
Dinesh

My Art and Wine

Post by Dinesh »

You're finding out what a lot of holographers have found out. You might also look up Ian Lancaster's talk at ISDH. The problem is that display holography will never make enough money to be your primary source of income. However, many, many people think that because they're amazed at a hologram, everyone else will also be and that they will open their wallets. The amazement that a lot of people experience is pretty transitory, the first time they see one, they're amazed, but after that (especially in our culture) they've moved on to the next amazing thing. Also, a lot of people have been inundated with "holography" in the media, with the Tupac Musion effect, with the holodeck and with lenticulars, so they're expecting much more than a few coins on a sheet of glass. The older holographers will tell you of the wonderful times 30, 40 and even 50 years ago, but back then holography did not have to compete with poster size 3D effects and live "holographic" performances. Today, anyone seriously interested in holograms will be able to instantly research them on the internet (not possible 30 years ago) and see a wide variety of either electronic 3D displays, displays in mists and encased in glass that take on a persona of holography because of the media association or a lot of new age stuff about holography unlocking the power of your mind while curing cancer. All of these things are marketed as "holograms" and the public,not knowing any better, believes this. The only examples of holography you see, if you search hard enough, are holographers from the 50's and 70's being nostalgic. We ourselves have been through all this - almost everyone who's been through our labs marvel at our dcg's - and almost every holographer whose gone pro has experienced this. It can make a little money as a side business, but unless you live in a shack in the middle of nowhere, it ain't going to pay your bills. The landscape is littered with dead holography companies. I know people want a little feelgood with their narratives, but I feel that a little hard reality will stop someone else from jumping into this particular pool. Holography is just a little too expensive in materials and tools to turn a profit above and beyond pocket change. There's just too much competition from other 3D (or even 4D and 5D!) media and the average person is inundated with advertisements promising eternal youth and a direct line to God. Holography is simply not as mass marketed to register as a desirable on the radar of most consumers. I understand a lot of the older holographers are now turning to lenticulars. We tried very, very hard to make a business of display holography, but the business savvy necessary was simply not in us. Because of our scientific background, we 're doing Ok with HOEs and HUDs. Given half a chance, we love doing display holograms and I've tried reaching out to artists who want a well equipped lab to work in, but again, the times we live in, people only associate with those who exude feelgood personas and happy-happy smiles. I'm much too abrasive because I don't actually know the words to "Kumbaya"

By the way, about 2000 or thereabouts, we saw a booth in a mall in Las Vegas selling crystals with your face etched into it in 3D. We both made a single crystal, ie one large crystal with both our faces in it - for 80 dollars. I later met the person responsible for this at another booth. I told him that I'd seen many, many of these crystal 3D images, but they were all of dolphins and horses. What happened to etching human faces? He replied that people were fascinated by the idea of etching their face in 3D in the crystal, but always balked at the cost. So, why not lower the cost? Well, he said, the crystal has to be very optically pure and he gets his crystals made in China, so much, much cheaper than the US. But, still, the crystal is too expensive to lower his cost low enough to satisfy the average consumer. I told him we have the same problem in holography.
Tony DCG

My Art and Wine

Post by Tony DCG »

I hadn't read this reply until today.
Thanks for responding Dinesh.

So I have to beg the question:

Two artist let’s call one Bevis and one Butthead they live in parallel universes . Bevis is a sculptor and Butthead is a holographer. Bevis carves out a magnificent piece, a nice butt naked lady stretching her hands to the heavens with the look of bliss and joy. It has artist quality and is displayed a gallery. It is well received and sells for $10,000, Bevis is happy.
Flash back and at a slightly different frequency to the parallel universe, Butthead also sculpts the exact same piece. However, he decides the piece would have more meaning if it were done as a hologram hoping that the new medium would offer some added value.

Any predictions as to what happens? I guess the deeper question is if the art (the object) is essentially the same does the fact that it is a hologram change anything? Is it the fact that it is a hologram that would turn would be patrons off? Is it a lot like what photographs went through in the turn of the last century in being except as an artistic medium?

Do any of you remember the old SNL skit “What if” in which a panel would comment on a question like "what if Eleanor Roosevelt could fly?". I think this falls under that type of catigory.
Dinesh

My Art and Wine

Post by Dinesh »

Tony DCG wrote: I guess the deeper question is if the art (the object) is essentially the same does the fact that it is a hologram change anything? Is it the fact that it is a hologram that would turn would be patrons off?
You've raised some extrememly interesting points here. How do people react to the world around them? How do people judge the artefacts and the events that surround them? Is it possible to determine an absolute sense of evaluation/judgement, or must all judgement, all evaluation, be relative? Relative to what? At the end of the day, we judge everything around us from two perspectives: the rational and the aesthetic; and almost all of us tend to judge from the aesthetic perspective: we tend to say, "I think it's going to rain", and not, "The temperature is 12% lower than average and humidity is 20% hugher than average, which implies that 0.4 inches of rain will fall in the next 2 hours and last 20 minutes". Thus, we judge almost everything from an "artistic" viewpoint - we "like" this, we "dislike" that. Yet, the irony is that we seem to judge that which is labelled as "art" from an objective perspective. Many's the time I've heard criticisms of art - be they painting or cinema - from this technical, objective point of view. Critics talk of "lighting", "camera angle", "bold brush strokes" (Can you have cowardly brush strokes?). Thus we're lead to the obvious question, "What is art?" Is it an overall and vague sentiment based purely (well, almost purely) on our experiences and emotional make-up, or is it a social bonding with people of similar tastes, or is it a precise set of evaluation criteria (cinema angles, brush strokes etc). Or, is it just snobbery? It's a particular interest of mine; however, having frequently brought these points out and received almost no response, I tend not to dwell too much on them. Artists go from being angry, to being sullen, to being completely silent when you try and bring these points up.

However, since you last posted on TED talks, I was intending to answer some of those questions, mainly because the TED talks brought outr the very points I've frequently mentioned. This also brings up what I call the "expert syndrome". If I asked, "What is Art?' artists react in the ways I've mentioned above. If David Hockney announces a lecture called "What is Art" and charges 50 dollars entry, there are some artists who would be drawn to the lecture like flies to..well, you get the point.

So:
Tony DCG wrote:Bevis is a sculptor and Butthead is a holographer. Bevis carves out a magnificent piece, a nice butt naked lady stretching her hands to the heavens with the look of bliss and joy. It has artist quality and is displayed a gallery. It is well received and sells for $10,000, Bevis is happy.
Flash back and at a slightly different frequency to the parallel universe, Butthead also sculpts the exact same piece. However, he decides the piece would have more meaning if it were done as a hologram hoping that the new medium would offer some added value.

Any predictions as to what happens?
Bevis gets $10,000 because he's a well-known artist and so people will buy pretty much anything from Bevis because he's a well known artist. These people don't care that it's a butt naked lady, all they care about is that it's a Bevis piece. Would you buy a painting from me of a lighthouse for $10,000? Would you buy it if you knew it was by Kincaide?. Butthead's hologram would be seen by "art holographers" as a cheap rip-off. An "idea" by a hobbyist on the same scale as circuit boards, skulls and chess pieces. This same hologram would be seen by the public as cheap kitsch. Now, if you said that the very same hologram was "an original Benton piece" or "famous old/dead holographer" piece made before 1980, then the same "art" holographers would slobber all over it and offer $100. They would then post it in every concievable place and crow over it. The public at large, never having heard of "famous old/dead holographer", would still think it was kitsch. Has any hologram ever fetched more than a few hundred dollars on the strength of the holographers name alone? (Note the latter; I don't mean "art" pieces commisioned by well-known artists as holograms - they tend to sell because of the artists name, not because they''re holograms per se.)

What if "famous old/dead" holographer made it and someone else made the same hologram - forged it, in other words. It shouldn't matter, right? But, in your TED talks, you quote:
Tony DCG wrote: [Our] response to forgeries is a huge puzzle. You might think that the pleasure you get from a painting depends on its color and its shape and its pattern, what it looks like. And if that’s right, then it shouldn’t matter whether it’s an original or a forgery, shouldn’t matter at all who created it. But the mind doesn’t work that way.
So, what we want is the value we apportion to the "famous/dead" holographer, not to the piece itself. If you do not value this holographer, then it's still kitsch! Again, in a quote of your TED talks:
Tony DCG wrote:Many sociologists like Veblen and Wolfe would argue that the reason why we take origins so seriously is because we’re snobs, because we’re focused on status...our response is conditioned on our beliefs
Our snobbishness wants us to crow that we have a "Benton", or a "Rudy Berkhout" because we're in the holographic world. The "art" value of the hologram rests purely and squarely on our belief system. But, because we're in the holographic world, there are precious few people we can crow to!

By the way, as a disclaimer of sorts, I did buy a Kincaid for $10,000. However, I had never heard of Kincaid! A guest asked if the painting was a Kincaid and I asked "Who?" Joy confirmed it was a Kincaid and I think the guest was more surprised that I'd never heard of Kincaid than the fact we had one!
Joe Farina

My Art and Wine

Post by Joe Farina »

Dinesh wrote:Thus we're lead to the obvious question, "What is art?" ..... It's a particular interest of mine; however, having frequently brought these points out and received almost no response, I tend not to dwell too much on them.
One of my college textbooks was called "What is Art?" But I can't remember what was said.

If I had to provide an answer to the question, it would be "Art is a mystery." I know that's a disappointing answer, but if it were otherwise, would my interest in art be the same? Probably not. "Interest" really isn't a good word. Love of art would be better, coupled with a desire to work. The ultimate goal being to contribute something, however small.

A lot of people here are interested in science, with holography being a kind of subset. Dinesh, you once mentioned that science and art are two completely different things, not to be reconciled or mixed. That is certainly true. If it were otherwise, imagine doing a scientific experiment, then rejecting certain results because they were aesthetically displeasing. Or imagine an artist doing a perfect perspective construction where the "correctness" of the perspective is the only thing which matters. These would be examples of bad science and bad art.
djm

My Art and Wine

Post by djm »

Joe Farina wrote:Dinesh, you once mentioned that science and art are two completely different things, not to be reconciled or mixed. That is certainly true.
Yet, several scientists speak of the beauty or elegance of scientific theories and give this as a reason for working on a certain theory or mathematical expression and not another one. Is art really that different from science? Both need studies, endurance, hard work, passion, creativity etc, though artistic work tolerate more randomness thrown into the mix.
Joe Farina

My Art and Wine

Post by Joe Farina »

Just because art and science have certain things in common doesn't mean a thing.

The important thing is the final objective: art or science. An artist may use many "scientific" techniques, likewise a scientist may take an "artistic" approach to a problem. This is entirely proper. However, the final objective must never be lost: art or science. What doesn't contribute to the original goal must be ruthlessly discarded, because if it doesn't contribute, it will certainly be harmful. Indiscriminate mixtures of art and science will always suffer from this schizophrenia, and no one will take it seriously.

But let me give an example of the proper use of science in art: Piero della Francesca. Piero is an extremely rare case, in that he was a scientist (who wrote a famous treatise on geometery) and also an artist. A close look at Piero's paintings will show you that while the perspective has been applied with the utmost care, this in no way interferes with his artistic presentation. The paintings are first and foremost art, with the science of perspective seeming to allow Piero's artistic vision to be crystallized.