Apologies to TJ

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
Dinesh

Apologies to TJ

Post by Dinesh »

It seems I was wrong in stating that TJ had said that the CNN hologram was a hologram. It turns out that TJ was the first to claim that it was not a hologram. So, my apologies to TJ.
142laser

Apologies to TJ

Post by 142laser »

Hi Dinesh,
We all make mistakes (I have done similar things years ago…) and from my limited interaction with TJ he seems like a really nice guy who is willing to forgive. I remember when I had some basic questions 20 years ago setting up our lab at USF and TJ was nice enough to speak with me on the phone and exchange some e mails to help get us back on track; that was SO nice of him.

If you really want to say you are sorry I suggest doing it directly; not over a forum. A personal apology is so much more sincere I think. Best regards to you both. Now...who wants to buy a laser? :)
Dinesh

Apologies to TJ

Post by Dinesh »

Thanks, Phil
Actually, TJ sent me an email stating that the matter is now over and behind us.

Yes, we all make mistakes. I've also made a few in my time - hard to believe, I know (I'm joking! I'm joking! I really must get comfortable with those little yellow faces!). Sometimes people tend to over-react and some people tend to hunt out small mistakes for whatever reason. Luckily TJ is a nice enough person and let the matter drop. I believe he admires me for some small contributions to holography and I certainly admire him for creating, maintaining and progressing the holographic community.
142laser

Apologies to TJ

Post by 142laser »

Excellent.

One time students were standing in line waiting for help with course permit approvals. They were complaining that they had to drive off the campus to buy our Physics lab manual at a copy store and could not buy it in out book store on campus. After taking heat for awhile I said something like "this is not my decision; it is up to the General Physics Lab supervisor; I told him I think making everyone drive off campus is stupid". So when I looked up there he was...standing there. And he was NOT happy. Then the students all started to attack him verbally...bad. Oops. :oops:

Another time Distinguished University Professor Dennis Killinger let me look at a new laser text that was sent to him and I found a few mistakes so I crossed out stuff and made corrections. It was right. oops. That was embarrassing. I fixed his book the best I could... :oops:

The good thing is that an apology is very economical; it is not giving one that can get expensive. :)
Dinesh

Apologies to TJ

Post by Dinesh »

142laser wrote:The good thing is that an apology is very economical; it is not giving one that can get expensive
So true! But, have you noticed how great people like TJ are not as affected as much as people of smaller stature?

My greatest blunder (which I still cringe about today after many decades!) was my pre-entrance interview at my university. I don't know how they do it in America, but in the UK, the university personally interviews candidates they think they're going to accept. At any rate, the interviewer asked me about the Steady State Theory as opposed to the Big Bang Theory, a point that was still a matter of much debate back then, because my high school advisor had to send a brief overview of me to the university and mentioned that I was interested in Theoretical Physics and cosmology in particular. Anyway, I disparaged Steady State, going so far as even saying that anyone who accepted Steady State was stupid (how inelegant we are at eighteen years of age!). Anyway, it turned out that one of the creators of the Steady State Theory, Hermann Bondi, was a member of the faculty, and I was taking a course with him. Oops! When I walked into the classroom, he looked at me and grinned!