storm, storm...

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
favalora

storm, storm...

Post by favalora »

Hi -

I get the feeling that few forum participants are in the American northeast (maybe I'm wrong!). In any case, be safe...

I recently moved to a suburb with plenty of trees and local complaints about people's sump pumps. So, I spent the morning moving in lawn chairs, random tarps we had around the yard, toys, birdfeeders... Although my weekend trip to the grocery store was pretty normal (no crazed masses grabbing water in this town at the moment), all of the matches, D-cell batteries, and decent flashlights are gone. I returned home to hear several folks bragging about their new generators. Hope we don't need them!

Guess I'm a little surprised to see the storm suddenly be predicted to track so far west and through central NY... but that means plenty of rain in NJ, MD/DE, and certain regions of MA...

So, my 6- and 4-yr olds helped me pick up in a little unfinished room here we call "the lab." No cardboard boxes allowed on the floor this week! Oscilloscopes and laser diodes are all up on shelves or tables.

g
rzeheb

storm, storm...

Post by rzeheb »

Hi Gregg,
We went through the same drill this weekend. Brought in or tied down lawn furniture, made sure we had fresh batteries, etc. Having gone through 5 days without power last year at this time, I'm ferverntly hoping we don't have to repeat the exercise. However, if we do, we'll know what to expect and be better prepared.
Ron
favalora

storm, storm...

Post by favalora »

I know the feeling...

Hey, perhaps a good get-rich-quick scheme would be to sell the batteries at a CVS, like a scalper.

g
Dinesh

storm, storm...

Post by Dinesh »

According to the paper (Los Angeles Times), the fastest sellers are sand bags. Apparently, also, Irene was not as big as was predicted and, many said, there was no need to evacuate and go through expensive protection scenarios. This time around, people are thinking that it's all being over-hyped,as was apparently Irene, while the powers-that-be are trying to tell everyone to take this seriously - that's it's not hype. The actual sand bag merchant quoted from NYC was quoted as "People are panicking, but look around. This nice weather allows people to walk around in panic mode". Well, it's one way of looking at it.

By the way, we have relatives from Philly staying with us. and they brought up two points that I was wondering if anyone had considered. The winds are predicted to be greater than 50mph and trees start to fall over at about 50. Also, deck furniture might take off and start flying around. By the way, Gregg, my brother in law did mention the shortcoming (literally!) of the NYC flood wall.
favalora

storm, storm...

Post by favalora »

Things are still very much screwed-up in New Jersey and regions of NY. I am astonished to still see notes like this today, from friends, about towns like Metuchen, NJ (which is kind of in the vicinity of Edison, and Staten Island):

After an inventory of what they have, and looking at who needs what, here's what they could use more of tomorrow at the schoolhouse... Open from 9am to 8pm.

Old Franklin School, 491 Middlesex Ave, Metuchen.

Canned goods (flip-top prepared preferred)
Beans, Peanut Butter, Tuna
Bottled Water
Batteries (D especially) and flashlights
Big Trash Bags – Contractor Bags
Cleaning Supplies (bleach, sponges, mops, brooms)
New packages of Mens Underwear & Socks
Diapers, Formula, Wipes
Paper towels, Toilet Paper
Toiletries
Pet Food
Can Openers, extension cords
Paper good (plates, utensil, cups)
Juice, Boxed Milk

Also, driver to deliver. Trips as short as 20 minutes to as long as 4 hours.
rzeheb

storm, storm...

Post by rzeheb »

I have 3 brothers-in-law and 1 mother-in-law all living on Long Island, in 4 different towns. None of them have had their power restored. Gasoline for generators is in short supply and it's starting to get cold at night! This had better be a wake up call that people listen to! Dave B also lives on Long Island. I haven't spoken to him since the storm. I hope he is O.K.!!

Ron
favalora

storm, storm...

Post by favalora »

My goodness! Perhaps they will join the ranks of the people I see on Facebook who suddenly shout, "hooray! we have power!".

I find it disconcerting that despite browsing (what I think are) mainstream news websites, I see almost nothing plain and clear reported about the bad status of those locations. I seem to learn it all from... Facebook. Do you know what the main hurdles are to restoring power in places like Long Island?
rzeheb

storm, storm...

Post by rzeheb »

I'm not sure Gregg. My mother-in-law reports a very large number of downed trees on her street and all the nearby streets. None of the power lines are buried so that, along with limited resources, is probably the simple answer.
holomaker

storm, storm...

Post by holomaker »

Hi You Guys, All is well at my place, power restored here, with no outside damage. much of the island has been hit hard w/power lines pulled dowm by falling trees, many many telephone poles are snapped off due to large trees going over w/little or no roots! In my mind this is the easy stuff to fix, its our neighbors on the south shore islands that have a long road to be back to normal, it's sand, sand every where............ poor folks
rzeheb

storm, storm...

Post by rzeheb »

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear that all is well at your place. My mother-in-law's power was restored yesterday! As you say, some got hit very very hard. One of my brother-in-law's lives in Freeport about 1.5 blocks from a canal. His house flooded badly and it may be a very long time before he can return home.