Lasers and aircraft

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
Ed Wesly

Lasers and aircraft

Post by Ed Wesly »

This month's issue of Smithsonian Air & Space has an article about this.

Sam Goldwasser of Sam's Laser FAQ's is interviewed in the article! http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm He works with 142laser Phil to give us the inexpensive photons!
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
142laser

Lasers and aircraft

Post by 142laser »

Thanks Ed.

The new powerfull and affordable laser pointers are getting out of hand. It is only a matter of time before some accident forces government regulation of laser sources that we will all regret. In the tampa bay area near TIA using one of these outdoors is asking for trouble; I am darn carefull with my 30 mW green pointer on halloween...1 watt and beyond is ridiculous.

Oh the photons are totally free but we do have to charge for the holography lasers. :) Phil
Tony DCG

Lasers and aircraft

Post by Tony DCG »

Is Sam the center fold???
Dinesh

Lasers and aircraft

Post by Dinesh »

142laser wrote:Oh the photons are totally free :) Phil
Well, Phil, the photons are not totally free, but they're pretty cheap.
We pay 16c/kW hr for our electricity. The lexel takes 230V and I run it at 25A. Thus, the cost of running the laser for one hour, C = (230x25x0.16)/1000 = 92c/hour of power. The 488 line runs at about 400mW, so the number of photons/hour is

N = (3600x0.4)/hf = 3.56x(10)^21

Thus, my photons cost per hour

C' = N/C = 0.92/(3.56x(10)^21) = $0.258x(10)^(-21)
Or 25 thousandth, billionth, billionth of a cent (approximately)! A real bargain at today's prices. Too bad you can't return the off-mode ones !

PS This is the kind of tongue-in-cheek calculations I like to do. So, don't take it too seriously (but the numbers are correct).
jsfisher

Lasers and aircraft

Post by jsfisher »

Dinesh wrote:PS This is the kind of tongue-in-cheek calculations I like to do. So, don't take it too seriously (but the numbers are correct).
Oh, I don't know about that highlighted part. Twenty-five amperes, sure, but probably into a reactive load. Power factor of maybe 0.85? You're padding your expenses a bit, me thinks....

<...also tongue-in-cheek...>
World's worst holographer
Dinesh

Lasers and aircraft

Post by Dinesh »

jsfisher wrote: You're padding your expenses a bit, me thinks...
Don't tell the IRS. They'll want their tax refund back!
Jeffrey Weil

Lasers and aircraft

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Dinesh, I have no sympathy for you. I'm running a He/Cd. Just the cost of the retube is $7 an hour. That doesn't even include electricity!
Dinesh

Lasers and aircraft

Post by Dinesh »

Jeez, Jeff, sorry about that! Maybe when they figure out this teleportation stuff, I can teleport some of my spare photons to you. Of course, I'll be very careful not to let a fly get into the teleporter.
Jeffrey Weil

Lasers and aircraft

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Thanks but your photons are too long. I need shorter ones for resist. Can you squeeze them down a bit?