holographyforum IRC channel?

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
hologram

holographyforum IRC channel?

Post by hologram »

hello all,

i'm a new user to this forum, just preparing to take my first steps into holography.

it breaks my heart a little bit that this forum is so inactive, and even moreso that this is the most active (english?) forum about holography in the world.

i think it would be easier to stay engaged with one another if we had an IRC channel. or possibly the modern alternative, slack. (see http://www.slack.com)

if you guys think it's a good idea, maybe we can get the forum administrator set up a channel :) it would be great to chat with some experienced holographers.
BobH

Re: holographyforum IRC channel?

Post by BobH »

A lot of the activity here was interrupted when the site went down because of the former admin. The new admin John did an excellent job of taking it over and bringing it back to life, but many now look at the Facebook page first I'd guess. Still check here every day. Wish I was more active making pictorial holograms now, and will be after getting a "new to me" pulsed ruby laser up and running (a 2 Joule 1984 JK 2000 in their "Holocamera"). Here's a pic of it in the kitchen, where I'll be making the oscillator work until I find a new amplifier rod.
JK in Kitchen.jpg
JK in Kitchen.jpg (433.57 KiB) Viewed 6543 times
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Bob what size is the rod needed?
BobH

Post by BobH »

The one I need is 3/8" x 8" with sloped ends. I've spoken with Dick Anderson, but he's away from his warehouse and won't be back to check for me until the end of March. He probably has what I need, but I'm still looking for alternatives in the meantime.
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Yeah too bad I thought I might have A rod for you , But the rods I have the reds with flat ends . Have u ever bought anything off Anderson ? I tried to get Apollo flash tubes from him and he would not commit me a price....
Din

Post by Din »

So, Bob, when you're not using it to make holograms, perhaps you can cook with it. Great for rare steaks; burns the outside without even warming the inside!
lobaz

Post by lobaz »

hologram wrote:i'm a new user to this forum, just preparing to take my first steps into holography
Welcome to the forum and good luck!
hologram wrote:it breaks my heart a little bit that this forum is so inactive
As BobH noticed, most of the activity is now at Facebook forums
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Holography/
and
https://www.facebook.com/groups/holographyforum/
Although sometimes people discuss very interesting topics there, most posts are just ramblings. Unfortunately, the Facebook forum is a single big heap of unsorted threads, so there is almost no chance to search and find anything useful. All interesting posts get lost in time - unlike this good old holographyforum. And Facebook is really not a place to ask tricky questions and to get detailed answers.
hologram

Post by hologram »

do you guys use reddit? why not create a subreddit -- i think it would be exposed to a lot more people and might help grow the holography community.
lobaz

Post by lobaz »

This forum has a long history, that's why it uses quite old school backend. The best property of this forum is exactly THE history - almost everything concerning holography has been discussed here, and you can still find it here. I am not sure if it is possible to make e.g. reddit holography corner and transfer old posts there. Without this rich history, the forum means nothing.
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Post by admin_jsfisher »

Some may recall that one previous version of the holography forum included a chat feature. It was supposed to be the best of both worlds -- a traditional bulletin board coupled with an online chat room.

The chat room never worked out. If you think about it, holography is not really the type of subject that attracts a group of followers that gather online just to talk about it, so it really was no surprise the chat feature got no real use.