forum and server

Announcements and discussion about the operation of this forum.
dannybee

forum and server

Post by dannybee »

This is to inform you that as of August 30th i will not be able to host this forum on my server. I will be transferring my serve to a new owner :(
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Re: forum and server

Post by admin_jsfisher »

Not to worry. It will have a new home. I will see to that.
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

admin_jsfisher wrote:Not to worry. It will have a new home. I will see to that.
Thank you
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Post by admin_jsfisher »

Transition Plan
  • The new home for holographyforum.org will be the same server that holds the holowiki. Hey! That even makes sense.
  • Possibly this weekend, I will copy the old and the current forums to the holowiki server. I have been meaning to merge the two into a single forum for some time, but that is a painstaking task I've been putting off. The move to a new server is incentive for me to finally do it.
  • If and when I am comfortable the new site is functional, I will alter the current holographyforum.org site to redirect traffic to the new location.
  • In theory the redirection will be transparent to you, the users of the forums, except for a different host name appearing in the URL after it is redirected. Usernames and passwords remain unchanged.
  • If everything continues to look correct, I will see if Colin can update the domain name records for holographyforum.org so it points directly to the new home. (If things go poorly, I'll just kill the redirection so we'll be back at the old home, and I get to start over.)
Merging the old forum into the current one will mean everything is in just one forum, and, more importantly, everything is searchable from one place. So, the extra work required to do it is I think worth it. Sometime afterwards, after things still prove stable, I will upgrade the forum software to the latest version. We'll have a few new features that are useful.
dannybee

Post by dannybee »

thank you so much, this gives me peace of mind, I was so heart broken about doing this. thankyou so much for giving me the privilege of serving you during this time it was a honor.
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Nice to have everything in one place now, along with the search function. Thank you!

"The Holography Forums are now hosted on the same server as the holography wiki. During the relocation, I have taken the opportunity to merge the old forum archives (the original Colin Kaminski forum) into the current. Now, all the posts are in a single place and covered by a single search function."
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Post by admin_jsfisher »

You are assuming I didn't break anything. :mrgreen: