Archive?

Announcements and discussion about the operation of this forum.
holorefugee

Archive?

Post by holorefugee »

I was wondering when an archive would be available for download? HTML or mySQL with all personal information removed would be ideal.
a_k

Archive?

Post by a_k »

Hello,

Mysql archives are ready and can be made available but won't be of much use to most people. I don't have an acceptable solution yet to generate searchable static html files from phpbb. If anybody would like to contribute a script to generate static html files from phpbb3 data please pm me. I'm also looking for web servers outside of the US willing to host the compressed archives.

At the moment i'm busy organising a machine and preparing to set up the forum server at a new nearby location.

Ahmet
holorefugee

Archive?

Post by holorefugee »

Hi Ahmet,

I will host a compressed file. Please email it to me and I will have it live or I can ftp it if you enable a login. I can look into a script and see if one has been written. It might take a robot to search the old forum and compile but we could do it off line.

Thank you for all you efforts. :)
a_k

Archive?

Post by a_k »

What i have now are daily mysql backups. That's raw data which is of no use to most. It's not a browsable archive.

I've thought about using website mirroring tools to create archives. Unfortunately those tools do a very bad job with websites which dynamically create the content, like phpbb does. They are very inefficent with the resources and create an absurdly bloated output.

It would be great if you could help locating a script which generates static pages from phpbb. The few ones i found so far are no good. Extracting all the information contained in the posts and packaging them as static html files with the possibility to do fulltext searches is not a trivial task - at least not for me. I don't have enough time to spare right now. If there are any members willing to contribute a solution, please contact me.

Ahmet