Hate Speech

Announcements and discussion about the operation of this forum.
dannybee

Hate Speech

Post by dannybee »

Sounds Great, and fair...lets do it :D
Gall wrote:My suggestions.

I moderated a large Russian forum at once. We have had the following rules:

1. Agression is prohibited.
2. Anything that is (or looks like it is) illegal is prohibited.
3. Mat is prohibited.
4. Advertisement is permitted only on specialized forum boards (like "marketplace"), prohibited on others (with exception for some specialized personal activities).
5. Any violation results in issuing a Warning. The topic should be either closed or split into "normal" and "junk" (with "junk" closed).
6. Three Warnings = temporary Ban (from one week to one year). All Warnings are annulated after some period of time (usually one month).
7. If a violent activity continues immediately after receiving a Warning, a one-day to one-week Ban follows.
8. Registering a new account to overcome a Ban results in a Permanent IP Ban.
9. Any bot activity results in immediate IP ban. If the bot is identified as associated with some user, the user receives a Warning.
10. All known anonymous proxies have read-only access.

In case of any further problems with non-tolerant and non-academic behaviour of someone I suggest to enforce similar rules on this forum.

For this forum, I think we need something like that in the rules:

* Any information posted on this forum is counted as publicly disclosed. By posting on the forum you agree that the information you're posting will be available to anyone and cannot be removed. The user is solely responsible not to disclose any information that is (but not limited to) secret, commercial or patented in his/her post. The board administration is NOT responsible for any disclosure of any kind of such information made by board users.
Dinesh

Hate Speech

Post by Dinesh »

Agree!

Hopefully these rules will keep the discussions to a high academic level with refined language.
142laser

Hate Speech

Post by 142laser »

I think everyone needs to take a step back and think before posting. Ed is s really nice guy and you two guys should learn to get along. I thought something was funny so I post "hahah good one Ed" (good joke) and that is sleaze? Come on man up. Albert Einstein's wife did many of his calculations or checked them and he is still great right? I have never known Ed to hate anyone even taking in a visitor from Turkey into his home for holography instruction; he is not any kind or racist. This is ridiculous. Let’s talk about lasers and holography! I sincerely apologize to you Dinesh; the joke was supposed to be in fun! Lighten up man. :roll:
Dinesh

Hate Speech

Post by Dinesh »

142laser wrote:I sincerely apologize to you Dinesh; the joke was supposed to be in fun! Lighten up man. :roll:
Thanks and I accept the apology.

Ed, however, is another matter.

The form of his remarks are outrageously and blatantly hateful and pernicious. The spite fairly shoots out! Every comment drips with virulent hatred. All because of some events that occurred over 5 years ago! These events have long since been forgotten by the principles involved - of which he was not one. If John Pecora still has an issue with me, John should be the one to bring it up. The events mentioned had nothing to do with Ed. I've talked to several holographers who simply accept that Ed hates me, but cannot account for it! In private conversations with many holographers, they can't believe that it was this John Pecora affair, but cannot understand why he hates me. What other choice do I have except racism? If racism is ridiculous, so is his basing his hatred on a matter that didn't concern him and that occurred several years ago.

It's not that I have anything against him. If he wishes to contradict or criticise anything I write he can, as can anyone else, bring forth arguments and comments in a polite and civil manner, not like a street barker at a political rally! If he is as technically adept as he claims to be, he should derive his own equations, not use books and the internet to justify arguments. How much I do or don't drink, what my preferences on beer are and other personal matters have nothing to do with the kind of civil discourse I usually have with real intellectuals and real academicians.
142laser wrote:Albert Einstein's wife did many of his calculations or checked them and he is still great right?
I'm sorry to mention it, but that's not true. Mileva was a second rate student and actually failed her undergraduate exams and never graduated. She also never understood Einstein. She was insanely jealous and, according to some sources, kept trying to get Einstein to explain Relativity to him, but never understood it. The source of most of this comes from a letter Einstein wrote to Mileva concerning Besso, a friend and fellow physicist, early in their marriage. Einstein had a great regard for Besso and wrote that Besso tended to concentrate on petty detail and miss the overall picture, but that he was very interested in "our investigations".* It's still not clear that Einstein meant Mileva or Besso. Besso was the only other reference Einstein gave in the 1905 paper, thanking Besso for "interesting conversations". Bear in mind also that he was a 25 year old, madly in love, and so tried to include Mileva in all aspects of his life. All the great physicists of the era, including Lorentz, Poincare and Minkowski, had tried to solve the problem of the aether and a 25 year old complete unknown does it in just 4 equations! Can you imagine what he must have felt like, and how he must have wanted to share it with the woman he loved.

*"Einstein A Life" by Dennis Brian, chap 5, p 33 (though other biographies - and I've read all of them, believe me! - also mention this odd contradiction. )
142laser

Hate Speech

Post by 142laser »

OK well maybe I am wrong about Einstein's wife; I never knew them but had heard she was the better mathemetician. :)

However I think if you and Ed could just shoot some holograms together maybe over a few beers the disputes would vanish. :) Give each other a chance and maybe the benefit of a doubt now and then. You are both experts and everyone here can learn from your posts. Best to all, Phil :|
Gall

Hate Speech

Post by Gall »

Agree.
Martin

Hate Speech

Post by Martin »

142laser wrote:OK well maybe I am wrong about Einstein's wife; I never knew them but had heard she was the better mathemetician. :)

See: http://home.comcast.net/~xtxinc/mileva.htm
If it were true that Mileva Marić had had some impact on Einstein's early theories, it wouldn't mean the end of the world, would it?
Dinesh

Hate Speech

Post by Dinesh »

Martin wrote:If it were true that Mileva Marić had had some impact on Einstein's early theories, it wouldn't mean the end of the world, would it?
Well, no, it wouldn't mean the end of the world. But, If it turned out that Bohr did not create the Bohr atom, but his wife did, would that mean the end of the world; or if Louis de Broglie did not write the paper on wave-particle duality, but his wife did, would it make a difference? Probably in any of these cases, it would not be the end of the world, but it would be historically inaccurate, insofar as history is something who's study only matters if the history is accurate. If we were allowed to twist history for the sake of social nicety, where would we stop? Did Mrs. Lincoln write the Gettysberg Address and Abraham just read it aloud? Did Eva Braun really control the Wehrmacht and the man in the funny moustache just stand around for effect?

The article is actually inaccurate on several fronts. I have the reprints of the original papers and the paper is authored by A. Einstein. No one, by the way, suggests that Mileva struggled for ten years with tensor calculus to create the General Theory (why so much attention paid the the Special Theory and none to the General, I wonder?). Einstein did not get the Nobel for Relativity because Relativity was very controversial in its day, as was Einstein. He was officially called the "bete noir' of the physiscs community. In fact, he said:

"By an application of the theory of relativity to the taste of readers, today in Germany I am called a German man of science, and in England I am represented as a Swiss Jew. If I come to be represented as a bête noire, the descriptions will be reversed, and I shall become a Swiss Jew for the Germans and a German man of science for the English!"

The Nobel will stipulated that the prize was to go to the most beneficial invention for mankind and no one knew the benefit of relativity (No one knew the benefit of the Bohr atom either, but Bohr was no bete noir!) In the end, Einstein was too famous not to get the prize but the committee was too cautious to give it for relativity, so thay gave it for something "harmless" (for its day) - the photoelectric effect. Ironically, the photoelecric effect is the centre of oyr technology.

The other reason I object to this idea that Mileva co-authored the 1905 paper (why not the Photoelectric paper, General Relativity, the "laser" paper on the interaction of matter with a radiation field etc etc?) was that real women mathematicians are completely ignored. Not a word about Emmy Noether, without whom quantum mechanics would never have existed! In fact, Emmy Noether could not get a position because she was a woman. Finally both Einstein and von Neumann campaigned for her, which got her on the academic pathway. In fact, Einstein had a lot of praise for Emmy Noether, so this idea that Einstein neglected Mileva because she was a woman is a social construct, I think, with no hard supporting facts.
kyodai

Hate Speech

Post by kyodai »

I don't know if Mileva Marić really added to some of EInsteins theories, i guess noone will ever know according to Wikipedia, with the unproven influence of formerly deceased people it is a bit like with the existence of god - neither proofs for or against his existence can be found. I read that she was a good mathematician and as she was married with him they probably spoke about some of his theories, as scientists they probably weren't discussing just the weather all day long. Did she influence him? Yeah for sure! Isn't it chaos theory were the wind from a butterly's wing causes a war or so? Maybe even if she didnt say anything at all it already helped EInstein just explaining his own thoughts and thus being forced to rethink all details again. The only thing that is sure is that she had enough influence on him to get married, have kids and get his Nobel Prize moneys interest. The rest will always be pure speculation i fear. My own 10 cents are that she did influence EInstein in a good way but that she did not "Write formulas for him". I think having her to talk to and at least during their happier times soemone who cares about him however might have given him much more than a "ghostwriter" might have been able to give.