HoloWiki

Announcements and discussion about the operation of this forum.
jsfisher

HoloWiki

Post by jsfisher »

Last Friday I upgraded the software for the wiki. It seemed like a good opportunity to re-install everything, clearing out some of the cruft it had accumulated in the process, and configure it more like the way most wikis are configured. There are two main changes you may notice:
  • Wiki URLs are a bit shorter and cleaner. The "/index.php/" part no longer appears in the middle, and all the images and files are off in a /w/ subdirectory. These are standard things for most wikis, but being a new wiki admin, I didn't realize that until after everything was in place. I configured things to still honor the longer URLs just so I didn't break everything. The only down-side for now is that it will take a little while for the change to propagate through the Internet search engines.
  • People can create their own accounts if they'd like to contribute. There are two anti-spam measures in place. To create an account, you will need to identify which of a set of pictures are pictures of kittens. To then be able to edit anything, you'll need to verify your email address. Neither are difficult tasks for a human; hopefully they are sufficiently complicated to keep away the automated attacks.
If you do create an account, please use your holoforum account name. That just makes it easier for everyone. Creating content for the wiki is reasonably easy, too. There is a sandbox (http://holowiki.nss.rpi.edu/wiki/Sandbox) where you can play around if you like. It even understands LaTeX if Mathematics is your thing. (Heck, it understands LaTeX even if Mathematics is not your thing.)
World's worst holographer