Forum server moved

Announcements and discussion about the operation of this forum.
dannybee

Forum server moved

Post by dannybee »

I have a dedicated server 200 gig , unlimited domain hosting, unlimited traffic, I pay 150 a year the server is located in the middle of the USA. I had offered to Almet free space and give him the keys to that part of the server (domain /cpanel& email server) its seem the response times is very slow for this site, not sure if its a link in the chain to over sea's. but it would be good to have a mirror site so if one goes down the other steps in..... I know he will never go for it tho even if its free...it must be a pride thing...least I tried to help :)
a_k

Forum server moved

Post by a_k »

Hello Colin,

Before moving the forum to the new location, one important problem was the internet connectivity because i didn't have control over all network hardware. The new location brought an improvement in this respect. Unfortunately a hardware failure has caused the server to shut down. When this happened, i was on holidays, 1000km away. I couldn't return right away but came back a week earlier then planned. I'll carefully consider the options to prevent something similar from happening again.

Danny, there is no pride involved. I've also thought about mirroring the server in case of failures. Will look into it. Concerning response times, 160ms is not too bad. We are not into shooter games here. At a distance of 6000km from here 40ms would be the speed of light for a round trip. And with 14 hops, each adding a ms or two, you'll quickly get the 160ms. Wherever the server is located, some will always have faster response times than others.

Hosting the forum is indeed quite a task. But i have learnt so much from you all, that i consider it as a privilege to have the opportunity to provide this service.

Ahmet
dannybee

Forum server moved

Post by dannybee »

that is good to know, if you need free space let me know. the back up and moving of data file could be automated, and use the backup site as a read only forum... that way would make it really simple and can be added in to the cpanel of the domain as a redirect if the first domain pointer dosnt work

yours Truly Danny Bee