new forum

Announcements and discussion about the operation of this forum.
dannybee

new forum

Post by dannybee »

their seem to be a move to "digital holography" with new programs and applications to make it avalible to the general public. like 123 catch , and Zebra Imaging making it posible to bring live objects into the optical table of John Dow Home Holographer... it would be nice to have a section on Home Brewed digital holography! sence I think its the new wave of Display holography :D
a_k

new forum

Post by a_k »

Is there enough interest to justify a new subforum for digital holography?
Arturo

new forum

Post by Arturo »

I am in!
Sergio

new forum

Post by Sergio »

This is the way the optical holography is moving, the future justify it because for practical applications like HOEs and display holograms, photopolymers applied in pixels is the best way to achieve high quality working and fidelity..
Dinesh

new forum

Post by Dinesh »

Agree. Holography is moving more and more into CGH, digital and HOEs. New materials like polymers are needed that don't need traditional wet processing with all it's uncertainties. We need to get holography into an application-based, technological paradigm and we need to align holography with the digital world.

However, my feeling is that a new subforum for digital techniques will only work if there is serious discussion of techniques and problems pertaining to digital holography and discussion of new applications for holography. There is a lot of interest, for example, in the use of holography in augmented reality. What are the limits of today's digital techniques? Hidden surface removal algorithms for digital holography? Colour rendition? New lighting and shading algorithms, since the light scattered by a holographic image is different from scattered light from a real object? Processing speed? What are the pressing problems that need to be overcome - the front line of research - in digital holography and CGH? These questions, and questions like these, might lead to interesting discussions.
Dinesh

new forum

Post by Dinesh »

So, Danny, I think the ball is in your court. You've suggested a new subforum. Several people have come in with their opinions. Obviously, my interest is in the science, mathematics and engineering of digital holography. Others may have different things they want to talk about. Now, it's probably your turn to suggest what you want to talk about. If no one says anything at all, then this concept will simply "die on the vine".