Where's Phil ?

Announcements and discussion about the operation of this forum.
holomaker

Where's Phil ?

Post by holomaker »

Ahmet is it true that Phil has been removed from the forum? Can you tell us why? :o
lobaz

Where's Phil ?

Post by lobaz »

Thank you Dave for asking, I had the same intention.

For those who don't know what's happening. On Wednesday 4th June, Phil Bergeron (142laser at holoforum) reported his account has been frozen, the holoforum.org reports that 142laser user does not exist (as of June 5th). Phil claims the account has been frozen because of his "lasers for sale" posts.

I have checked holoforum.org policy once again and did not find any claim forbidding posting such messages. Therefore I assume that freezing Phil's account was unintentional mistake the administrator made e.g. by updating holforum configuration or other technical maintenance.

Could you please, Ahmet, explain us what's wrong?
BobH

Where's Phil ?

Post by BobH »

From what I've read, I think it's 100% unfair for Phil to be booted off this forum. I have to say thatI wish his approach was a bit more "offering" than "selling", but that's an issue of style and my own problem, and his style is in no way "offensive" or out of line in a "For Sale/Trade" section of a forum like this. I have no problem with the number or frequency of his posts, even though he obviously feels guilty about that. So I have to ask, "what's the problem?"

If his actions were that disruptive, there'd have been at least one thread or comment about it. I can't remember any such complaints. We need more sellers of lasers suitable for holography, not less. We need more people interested in holography, not less. His offering of a cut to this forum was NOT meant as a bribe, it was Dave's suggestion (in the absence of any reasons being offered to the group for his booting). So I have to ask, what's the problem?
lobaz

Where's Phil ?

Post by lobaz »

Hello, Ahmet,
I have just read your and Phil's communication at the facebook holography forum and I must say I really do not like your approach.
There is "For Sale" section, right? It seems to me logical to post commercial offers there.
You complain about number of posts. So if I post a lot of my results say about testing holographic materials, I will be banned as well?
You recommend Phil to use other platform such as ebay. Are you going to recommend me I should use other platform such as SPIE Proceedings?
Did you ban Phil's account because many forum users complained about that, or is this just your decision?
If many users complained about number of Phil's posts, it is worth noting that other users (such as me) were happy Phil offers stuff hard to obtain elsewhere.

Could you please explain me (and possibly other forum members) your view (other than "I am the admin and I can do whatever I want")?

Best regards,
Petr Lobaz
University of West Bohemia, Pilsen, Czech Republic

P.S. I still remember days in my country where the communist government strictly controlled what is OK to say and what is not.
Believe me, it was not very funny and I am glad these days are over.
a_k

Where's Phil ?

Post by a_k »

Hello,

I do not lightly ban users. In all the years of the forums existence only 2-3 temporary bans have been used and a single user removed from the membership.

There are very good reasons for deactivating Phils membership. A ban is a matter between me and the member in question. I will not discuss my reasons publicly.

It is a primitive move by Phil to publish our private conversation without my agreement.

Ahmet
a_k

Where's Phil ?

Post by a_k »

Nor do i want it discussed by others in this forum.

Thread closed.