Rotating Polarization with Mirrors

Light and its behaviour and properties
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

I really dont understand all this nonsense ! just run a damn 10 minuet test and you will know outcome ............ isnt that what really counts?

Danny based on the reality of this topic isnt it really Kates fault Dinesh left the room?

By the way Kate very good idea and as ive tested it and it works very well , thank you all for the input !
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 21, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannybee

Post by dannybee »

holomaker wrote:I really dont understand all this nonsense ! just run a damn 10 minuet test and tell usthe outcome ............ isnt that what really counts?
amen!!!!!
dannybee

Post by dannybee »

holomaker wrote:I really dont understand all this nonsense ! just run a damn 10 minuet test and you will know outcome ............ isnt that what really counts?

Danny based on the reality of this topic isnt it really Kates fault Dinesh left the room?

By the way Kate very good idea and as ive tested it and it works very well , thank you all for the input !
how much math does that take?
yes a simple & workable .. with no math need
dannybee

Post by dannybee »

holomaker wrote:I really dont understand all this nonsense ! just run a damn 10 minuet test and you will know outcome ............ isnt that what really counts?

I gess your correct dave....sad day
Johnfp

Post by Johnfp »

My two cents.
I posted something very simple and cost effective that I have used and works. I surely did not know it was going to get all this attention. In fact, after I posted it, Dinesh posted all this garbage about how difficult it was to align and how wouldn't work with HOE's. Well, since most here are display holographers we can forget the second part. As for the first part, not difficult at all, not with a couple of gimbles.
Since I've been put down, demeaned and, despite several pleas for an explanation, ignored. Since I see no end to these repressive behaviours with no sight of any justice from anyone. I don't think that I can contribute anymore. If you all seem to think that I actually don't understand or know holography, and you all seem to think think there is no science in holography but simply hand waving statements and since no one seems to actually seek knowledge, just ego, I'd like to be taken off the membership rolls.

If any of you actually benefited from anything I wrote, I hope I taught or inspired you. I hope you carry forward the idea of rational discussion. I hope I left something of the excitement of new ideas and deep insight into these phenomena. Unfortunately, there are some here who's ego transcends any hope of insight or study. I'm clearly a fish out of water when I question, debate and try to inspire to some to greater heights.
It seems Dinesh wanted us to explain what he alread knew and kept badgering us for the answer. Some of us thought he didnt get it, but I assume he did and was tryign to force us to get it at the physics level. He should have just posted what he wanted to say and let the one that can use that info use it. Then he gets mad and leaves when he was the one playing us. I didn't really see anyone put him down. Oh well.

Back to topic, use a protractor and ruler for table heights and squares.

I personally want to thank Kaveh as this arrangement saved me hundreds of dollar and I had all the parts (a sinlge base and pole, two mounted gimbals with mirrors. DONE!
dannybee

Post by dannybee »

sorry bob didnt mean to point a finger at you....Dinesh has gone before and came back....so I think he will be back...he can some times, even tho hes very bright and wise his self can get in the way
Jeffrey M

Post by Jeffrey M »

I used the two mirror system exactly as John pictured, but with a flip mirror on top, to switch the beam between two tables. One table had the rotated beam, set for an overhead reference beam mastering table, at Brewster's angle, the other table got the unrotated beam for H1-H2 copies on their sides. No need to ever think about polarization adjustment again, all automatic, no infinitely adjustable angles which you never need anyway. I never reset another cool rotating device after that.
If a holographer can't set a reflection at 90 degrees, get out. Yes, any deviation from right angles rotates out. These mirrors handle your full laser power, so you want great mirrors with little loss.
nobo

Re: Rotating Polarization with Mirrors

Post by nobo »

kaveh1000 wrote:Kate is right. It is the exact equivalent of the image John was referring to. Attached is better diagram. Wish I had SketchUp in the old days. ;-)

For your info, the original diagram (pre personal computers) was programmed in Fortran, submitted to microfilm (35mm BW film), then printed on photo paper in a darkroom!!
That's so interesting!