Color Holography Optics setup

Light and its behaviour and properties
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Hi Ed. By coincidence, I just copied the Kogelnik paper yesterday, and I took a picture of one page, below. (I'm not sure if these are equations 21 and 22 that Dinesh was referring to.)
P1030032.JPG
This was published in the Bell System Technical Journal, Volume 48, Number 9, November 1969, beginning on page 2909. I think this is the paper which is so often referred to.

At the University of Notre Dame, photocopies are 10 cents each. Well, I started copying this paper, and didn't realize that it was close to 40 pages, so I ended up spending about 4 bucks. The last math or science class I took was in about the 8th grade, so I have no hope of understanding it.
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

I forgot to mention the title of the paper, it's "Coupled Wave Theory for Thick Hologram Gratings" by Herwig Kogelnik.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Joe, thanks. However, I thought that a whizz kid like Ed Wesley, so-o-o knowledgeable about diffractive optics simply must have had a copy of KJogelnik! However, the alpha term in both the equations carry the absorption.

Ed Wesley: I'm quite sure that you'll immediately send David an email, slobbering all the while. I have no objection discussing his paper with him, off the forum. I think it's an open secret on this forum that you carry this hatred of me and will take every opportunity to have at me. I don't know what your education level is, but I suspect you might learn a little mathematics before you spout off the way you do. If you are as knowledgeable as you seem to claim, why not start with the Helmholtz integral and derive the equations? These are second order partial differential equations and from them, you can derive the Kirchoff theory.
However, these constant barrages of hatred and ignorance simply serve to bring down the forum and embarrass everyone! According to your tag line, you ask why you waste your time. I think we're all asking that and I suspect that the reason is that your hate drives you. In the end, only the forum suffers.
kaveh1000

Post by kaveh1000 »

Oh boy... I wish I had not said
Of course color holography is additive by its nature anyway.
in an earlier post. ;-)
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Kaveh, I think it's not only OK to have said it, but is fairly constructive. It's statements like that which promote useful discussions and, I hope, spread a little knowledge on the side. For example, I found a theory, gaining some popularity, apparently, that the standard explanation of movies, Persistence of Vision, may not be correct. I showed this to Steve and we had quite an interesting discussion.

However, there are some whose purpose is simply malfeasance; a stirring of the pot for no other reason than an exaggerated ego, a pedantic mindset and a lot of ignorance combined with an inability to indulge in refined debate. This kind of behaviour always derails interesting discussions.

So, I'm curious what you think of my thesis that the recording of a colour hologram is based on a different system than the reconstruction. I proposed this idea to Jeff Weil a few years back (do you remember, Jeff?) and a large number of glasses of wine were consumed discussing this. I'm not sure he accepted my thesis, but a large number of glasses....
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

I do remember some beer. But I couldn't have too much, I still had to drive back to L.A. What I most remember was your lab. I wish I had that much space.

I've not been following this thread but I'll read it over and see if it brings to mind your color theory from that day. Too late for that tonight though.

I'll be back tomorrow. I have some beer to drink right now.
MilanKarakas

Post by MilanKarakas »

Sorry, buys. I wanted to continue discussion, but sh.t happens all the time on my side. my lovely DPSS died.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milan_kara ... hotostream

Working many days on its controller, but got nowhere, and by accident something goes into short circuit, and puf, smoke and no more green. If I continue that pace of destroying lasers, I will never record any hologram.

I wish to die. God, please kill me, I am not deserving to live.

best--
m--
MilanKarakas

Post by MilanKarakas »

MilanKarakas wrote:Sorry, guys. I wanted to continue discussion, but sh.t happens all the time on my side. my lovely DPSS died.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milan_kara ... hotostream

Working many days on its controller, but got nowhere, and by accident something goes into short circuit, and puf, smoke and no more green. If I continue that pace of destroying lasers, I will never record any hologram.

I wish to die. God, please kill me, I am not deserving to live.

best--
m--
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Milan
There's no need to get that desperate! After all, when God closes one door, He slams another one in your face. I'm joking! I'm joking! (And, I hope you laughed!)

If you can't fix your laser, then sit down, open a large beer, look at sunlight through beer while drinking, and determine whether the sunlight filtered through the beer is RGB or CMYK.
MilanKarakas

Post by MilanKarakas »

Dinesh wrote:Milan
There's no need to get that desperate! After all, when God closes one door, He slams another one in your face. I'm joking! I'm joking! (And, I hope you laughed!)
I wish I can laugh. After laser die, I begin to self mutilate... Blood is everywhere, I broke my nose. I am so angry to myself. Full hand of sleeping pills did not killed me. Seems that God have some plan for me, whatsoever it is. Without laser, I feel empty.
If you can't fix your laser, then sit down, open a large beer, look at sunlight through beer while drinking, and determine whether the sunlight filtered through the beer is RGB or CMYK.
No, I can't fix this laser. Pump laser diode is pressed firmly (mechanically), and pump diode working on close proximity to the hybrid crystal (Nd:YVO4/KTP). No way to replace pumping diode. I bought this laser on eBay for $12 US, but this laser had coherence length over 10 meters, and give out about 70 mW (okay, circular polarization, but this can be rectified with 1/4 wave plate + polarizing cube to exclude all trace of 'wrong polarization'). Only problem is that the best operating point is at about 31C. For that reason I need good thermal control. Previous laserpointer DPSS had about 3 cm coherence length.

Now, situation is pretty futile. Someone from this forum gift me JDSU laser head, but for some reason it can't put out more than 2 mW. Probably laser cavity is misaligned, and three holes for adjusting HR mirror is covered with housing and holder for output coupler, so that three adjusting screws are out of reach. By aligning KTP crystal, it can move cavity in resonance, but then KTP crystal is not phase matched.

I wish I can drink beer... My duodenal ulcer don't like it, so I rather prefer to not drinking alcohol.

Maybe out there is forum "dead DPSS lasers"?

Best--
m--