Broken Mirror Hologram

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
JohnFP

Broken Mirror Hologram

Post by JohnFP »

Dang, message gone again. Glad I copied it to word first.

Let’s try this again.

I have not been able to shoot the "Broken Mirror" hologram yet but it is all glued together and setting patiently on the object base on the table. I decided to use the clear glass marble instead of the silver or metallic black one as the clear one allow a multiple reflection to be seen through it from the parts of the broken mirror behind.

I was also thinking about the multiple exposure and thought of why just rotate the object and plate. I could also tilt the object and plate, with the correct tilt angle (I am using overhead reference) I should be able to get some reinforcement of different wavelengths.

I may also try to shoot one exposure in 488 and another one in 458 with possibly a tilt in there also. There are so many things I want to try with this hologram.
JohnFP

Broken Mirror Hologram

Post by JohnFP »

Awwww...Dudes, you have to see this one in person or....

Can anyone post an animated avi file?

You have to see what this does when you move across the plate.

Still shots on my web soon to come.

One thing I really like is when you look at is pseudoscopic, the depth of the broken mirror and the pseudoscopic of the cracks make the hologram look very deep and like a piece of coral. Some in front and some in back. By far the most excellent hologram I ever made. AND... where there is just one mirror reflection... brightest thing I ever saw.

HELLOOOOOO..... HOE's!!!!!
MichaelH

Broken Mirror Hologram

Post by MichaelH »

If you've got an animated avi I'll be happy to host it. With my work hours I wouldn't have time right now to make one based on your pictures. Danny might?
JohnFP

Broken Mirror Hologram

Post by JohnFP »

I posted a couple of photos of the "Broken Mirror" hologram on the PCG photo site. I will try to get an avi animated file somewhere soon.

Hope this works if not here it the link.

http://4c-s.org/v-web/gallery/album04

JohnFP

Broken Mirror Hologram

Post by JohnFP »

These two photos are the first one which was a single exposure. The second hologram (not photographed yet) was a tripple exposure with about 10 degrees left of center, center and about 10 degrees right of center. I took the exposure time of the single hologram (25 seconds) and devided it by 3 then added a couple of seconds for a total of 10 seconds each exposure. The third hologram was a double exposure of 15 seconds each. I rotated the object and plate a full 180 degrees with the second exposure. The effect was not as I thought and I believe the two exposures were competing for fringe formation. The fourth hologram was a double exposure of 20 seconds each with the second exposure being tilted toward the reference beam by about 10 - 15 degree. It looks very cool. I think the multiple exposures are too busy and they take away from the natural beauty of the single exposure. The single exposure is great looking in person when viewed from the pseudoscopic side. The cracks in the mirror are in front of the plate but the reflections from the mirrors themselved remain behind the plate. Entire object depth was about an inch but the hologram has a total depth of 2 inches. Very beautiful colors that change and move as you change your viewing perspective.

I made 8 plates that all look exceptionally clean but could only expose 4 because...dumb dumb dumb... I ran out of epoxy to seal them. I may try to knock off the last 4 this evening or tomorrow. This will also give me a good indication of how the plates keep in the cellar. The cellar is 72 degrees F. and relative humidity of 70 percent and I do seem to see and increase in speed of the film with the increased humidity.

Peace!
Colin Kaminski

Broken Mirror Hologram

Post by Colin Kaminski »

JohnFP wrote:Hope this works if not here it the link.
I fixed it. You had the wrong file name and then you used the url tag. Next time post the link, select it and hit the img tag above. :)
JohnFP

Broken Mirror Hologram

Post by JohnFP »

Thanks to Michael and the use of space on his server I posted an .avi file of the "Broken Mirror" hologram.

http://www.dragonseye.com/holos/MVI_1143.avi

Thank you Michael!!!
MichaelH

Broken Mirror Hologram

Post by MichaelH »

You're welcome!

That's way cool.