Zebra holograms?

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Martin_D

Zebra holograms?

Post by Martin_D »

just out of curiosity... does anybody know how they do it? they look just too good... simply some of the best holograms I've ever seen...
Kaveh

Zebra holograms?

Post by Kaveh »

I find they look good from a distance, but as you get closer the pixels become visible. They right each pixel individually. I am not sure of the detailed process.
Dinesh

Zebra holograms?

Post by Dinesh »

Very simply, they calculate the FT for each view from a paticular pixel, I believe. They then scan the entire medium row-by-row, column-by-column plotting the FT onto each cell for the view from that particular cell. I imagine the calculations must be immense! The FT is then plotted with the pixel as a boundary, ie the FT is plotted within the limits of the cell. I believe this is directly imaged onto a photosensitive plastic. There is no H1-H2.
Sergio

Zebra holograms?

Post by Sergio »

Dinesh wrote:Very simply, they calculate the FT for each view from a paticular pixel, I believe. They then scan the entire medium row-by-row, column-by-column plotting the FT onto each cell for the view from that particular cell. I imagine the calculations must be immense! The FT is then plotted with the pixel as a boundary, ie the FT is plotted within the limits of the cell. I believe this is directly imaged onto a photosensitive plastic. There is no H1-H2.
Printed on a photosensitive plastic? Or a photosensitive holographic polymer film? If such machine could print on with violet (405nm) the film could be VERY sensitive, is it a direct reflection hologram (1:1)?

What about the possibility of someone built this machine?:shock:
Dinesh

Zebra holograms?

Post by Dinesh »

I believe they said "light sensitive polycarbonate" whatever that means. The medium is black and, while I haven't examined it that closely, it doesn't seem to be backed by a black material but itself seems to be black ( http://triple-take.com/holo_photos/phot ... /zebra.jpg .) Of course they're not going to reveal their process, but I believe it's imaged directly.
There was a sort of funny moment at SPIE 2000 or 2001 when Mike Klug was showing off the (then newish) Zebra stuff at a holographers party. Yuri Denisyuk was there and asked a question to Mike. Mike replied, "Our lawyers tell me I can't reveal how we made it" and Denisyuk said, "I know how you made it but what I want to know is.." (I forgot the actual question). Mike then said, "I know you do, Yuri, but I can't tell you"
It brought up to me the whole ridiculous side of the patent/legal business that you couldn't tell a man of Denisyuk's stature something he obviously was well aware of because of a lawyer!