Aluminum Can Tables - what's new?

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Excellent work John!
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

John, I am ecstatic that after all the time you put into this table, it looks via a Michaelson, that it will be an excellent table for you.
arturo

Post by arturo »

John,

I have been out of the forum for quite a while now, and searching did not give me much info... how did your hexcan table perform, are you still using it?
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

It works great. It sure took a lot of work and time to build.
DJ Mathson

Post by DJ Mathson »

John Klayer wrote:It works great. It sure took a lot of work and time to build.
John, please can you elaborate a bit more on your table. What are the pros and cons with the hexcan? Both when it comes to building it and using it. How large is the table? How heavy? In what kind of environment are you using it? What kind of holograms and setups are you using it for?

Hearing your view on these things can be of value to people who consider to build such a table.
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

I don't know about pros and cons. It works very well. It was a major pain in the neck to build. After I got started on it I found a source for some free honeycomb material that would have been much easier to use but I was hardheaded and wanted to take the pop can idea to completion. There are pictures of it on preceding posts, it is 30 by 66 inches. My wife, a friend and myself were able to lift it. Most of the weight is the two steel plates. I have it setting on a sturdy shelf built into an alcove of a first floor room with a wood floor. Since the three walls of the alcove are supporting the shelf, shakes and vibrations from the floor are not an issue. Between the shelf and the hexcan table I have sandwiches of Sorbothane, plywood and innertubes. Mostly I've been doing two beam transmission holograms on it. Most of my setups are to test variations of my cave holography apparatus with chunks of rocks.
DJ Mathson

Post by DJ Mathson »

John, thank you for the description.