Copyright issues in using an object you didn't make?

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.

Post by Guest »

Does any one know if there are there copyright issues involved when you shoot and sell a hologram of a physical object that you bought at a store; you didn't make the model, but you want to sell these holograms to the general public?

For example the Buddah hologram I showed in the gallery was a $1.98 close-out special from the drug store. There were no labels on the object other than the discounted price; no way to identify the artist.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

:?:
Last edited by JohnFP on Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Guys, please leave your flame wars out of other people's threads. Your war is confusing enough to those of us on the outside without it spilling over into other areas.
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Does any one know if there are there copyright issues involved when you shoot and sell a hologram of a physical object that you bought at a store; you didn't make the model, but you want to sell these holograms to the general public?
I'm not a lawyer but feel very confident in recommending that you treat copyrights with the most respect possible. The laws are different between countries but you'll always be safe in assuming that if you make *and sell* a hologram of an object you didn't create, especially something that's mass-produced, some lawyer will come after you. Chances are good that if you only sell to friends and some small cirecle of people you won't be noticed (although I am *not* recommending this tactic) but you're still playing with fire.
MarkCavin

Post by MarkCavin »

It probably is a copyright infringement, or at least a cleaver lawyer might make a case; assuming any lawyer could bear that adjective :shock: . Try selling photographs of a well known sports team memorabilia without getting sued; better yet make and sell a hologram of a Lucas Arts idol without permission and I hear you get sent straight to hell, Detroit if hell is overbooked. You would have to get caught first and I bet the Green Bay Packers would get you before the ACME figurine division ever caught on. You could find some interesting out of the market subjects at a flea market or garage sale that no one would notice or care about. In fact I wonder if some great material can be had by seeking out inexpensive antiques in obscure shops.
Mark
Tony

Post by Tony »

AFIK, (IANAL), you can copy someone else's work for your own use, but not of course for sale. I like to make holograms of Disney scultures for display in my own home, but I wouldn't attempt to sell them. Of course, I think you have to own the original as well.

The closest analog to this is found in the artistic rubber stamp business. You can use the rubber stamps for your own creative purposes, but you can't use them to produce a product for sale.