Introductions - Everyone please chime in!

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Sorry, I have to put my 2 cents in.

I think a simple HOE would be easier then making a hologram of an object.

Simply lay a mirror, even a regular mirror, down on the table, shiny side up and lay a plate on top of it. Expand a laser beam to cover the plate and expose. Beam would not have to be collimated.
futune

Post by futune »

Hi everyone!

A brief introduction. I'm Vanni, a 5th year BS Physics college student. I belong to a laboratory called the "Photonics Research Laboratory," where we study stuff about optics, lasers and the like. I belong to the Holography cluster of our group and am currently struggling to finish my thesis so that I can graduate and explore the world.

Hmm...first hologram ever seen? Well, more of I thought it was a hologram but later found out that it was a stereogram. Has anyone ever watched the cartoon entitled "Visionaries"? The one where they have staves and mirrorlike armor on their chest that has an animal in it? If any of you do, remember their toy merchandise? Their armor had a stereogram of an animal that changed its pose everytime you look at that armor from a different angle? But my first real hologram was when I entered the lab. It was the hologram of our school symbol. Pretty cool :)

It's great to finally meet people who have the same (or even greater) enthusiasm as I about holograms. Take care everyone!

-Vanni
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

thanks for the advice *grin*
WaveRyder78

Post by WaveRyder78 »

Hello everybody. I've always thought that holography was really cool when I was younger. Never thought in a million years that I could actually make one. The first holograms I can remember seeing were the one's on the National Geographic covers awhile back. I believe it was an eagle and a skull. Anyways, just a couple of years ago I was at Borders and saw a book on making holograms. I bought it, read it, then researched holography on the web. I eventually bought the Shoebox holography set and started from there. I made a few holograms with it. Mostly of coins and such. I eventually conjured up my own "stable table" and set-up which works pretty well for 2.5'' x 2.5'' holograms. I currently haven't made a hologram larger than that, although my current project is to make a 4'' x 5'' split beam hologram. It's currently all I think about.
sathish

Post by sathish »

Hiya Folks,

Didn't choose holography - it chose me. Really.. :P

Have to use holography as a part of my studies, got stuck, was googling some info and stumbled onto this forum. Seems like there is plenty of neat ideas and experiments and suggestions in these pages..

Hopefully one day soon, I will solve my little worries, and post some stuff on what I am upto, and what I did... and it would be as cool for you as its for me to read about your stuff.

Thanks for the forum, Colin :wink:

Sathish
Kris Meerlo

Post by Kris Meerlo »

Sorry I am out.

I have no time to make the best ever dog hologram this month.
ReggaeRob

Post by ReggaeRob »

Didn't choose holography - it chose me. Really...

Like Sathish, I also got involved in Holography by chance.

I was laid off from my job in February 2006 after nearly 10 years with the same company. I had finished my BS in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Physics shortly after starting to work as a Plating Technician for Johnson-Matthey Electronics and tried to work my way up there rather than try to find an engineering job with no previous experience. I had some successes and some setbacks as the electronics industry went through the computer boom and bust, and the company became Honeywell Electronic Materials. To cut costs they sent most of their plating business to a new facility in Thailand and we were laid off. I considered this to be an opportunity to get more schooling and find a better job. The schooling didn't pan out because Honeywell was hiring too many workers back at reduced wages into other departments, but I got lucky and found a great job opportunity close to home. A small company named New Light Industries, just 5 miles from my house, was looking for a Holography Tech with experience in electro-plating. :idea: I got hired and found myself an excellent place to grow and learn from some really smart people, not just another big company working for corporate paper-pushers :evil:

My new boss is Steve McGrew, well known in the Holography industry, and developer of the embossed hologram among other things. I met Inaki Beguiristain when he came over from the UK, and he helped us lay out some of the details for our new production area. I am looking forward to visiting Inaki in London in the near future for some more training and a firsthand look at how a 'real' holographer works. Things should make a bit more sense now that I've gotten my feet wet and tried some of the processes myself :wink: All in all a rather fortunate way to fall into an exciting career change and learn from 2 of the best people around!
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

What a great start! Welcome aboard!
pinar

Post by pinar »

Hello everyone!

When I came across the hologram issue about three years ago, my first thought was ‘I would do that!’ Well, for the last couple of months I have been taking real steps, not succeeded yet though… Beside my unsuccessful hologram experiments and unrelated 9 to 6 job I am researching, translating and blogging about holography.

Greetings from Istanbul! :)

Pinar
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Welcome Pinar!

It's good to have another lady in the house.

What sorts of material and lasers are you using?

Also, what kind of dance do you do (I'm also a dancing holographer, although I tend not to do both at the same time).