Introductions - Everyone please chime in!

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
rockstarinc.

Post by rockstarinc. »

well i got interested in holograms when i realized my nerucircuitry was made of them . as an dolphine child my skitzophrenia attunes me to my pixeles and holograms all day every day . its amazeing what can unlock from holograms . the possibilities . i think science needs to add the mind to the eqaution .i mean biocation can only be doen by layering holograms . a movie called i heart hucka bees showed me that these holograms are what i see in my life . the connections between you and i . telapthy becomes almost an insint . qautumn theory and psedu pyhc always interested me . my hologram is inprinted with hologram guide book pretty much . its all mahavishnu ascention ... i dunnowhat to say .. millon thigns i coudl say .. just ask teh rite questions .. you might get teh anwser your looking for ....
Hans

Post by Hans »

The first hologram I ever saw was one of an eagle on the front of a National Geographics magazine of a friend when I was 13 years old. I borrowed the magazine and tried to understand what was written in it. His father took us the following week to an amazing little holography museum in Amsterdam. I don't know if that museum still exists, but I remember most of the holograms that were displayed there, including the magical one of the lady blowing a kiss.

After some serious nagging on my part I convinced a high school teacher to lend me a school HeNe laser and started experimenting at home. I had no idea you needed special film for it, so the experiment was a failure.

In 2000 I bought some BB plates from Walter Spierings in Holland and made a small reflection hologram in my garage. I thought "wow that was easy!". Work became very busy and I stored the materials for later use. After I moved to a new house and got more settled I became drawn back to the holography. This time it has become an obsession. I am now converting my garage to a laboratory. In the mean time I discovered that my first hologram was beginner's luck. But I am sure that the difficulty is what makes this hobby so interesting.
walschuler

Post by walschuler »

I have been negligent in not getting to my background sooner. I developed an interest in astronomy very early on and built my own telescope from scratch, including grinding the main mirror, in 8th grade. I went on to major in astronomy in college and get a doctorate in astronomy from UC Santa Cruz.

Almost as early on (1961) lasers were invented and holography revived. They caught my interest too. I started trying to build a HeNe laser in high school, but did not finish it. I picked up the project in college and finally succeeded, making my own mirrors, machining metal parts, and doing glass blowing for the tube. A fellow student, Peter Moulton, did the power supply. He has since stayed with the field and is very well known, having invented the Ti-saphire laser. Our laser put out about 10mW and could be tuned through all the TEM modes, as the mirrors were external to the tubeand their allignment was adjustable.

I strayed for a while into energy consulting and solar system design but since returned to teaching in astronomy and the sciences. I started teaching holography in graduate school. I picked up some holography references then and discovered mention of Lippmann photography, which intrigued me greatly. I collected information, but did nothing with it until 1992 when I was appointed to the faculty at California Institute of the Arts, in Valencia, Ca., where I still teach. I asked for dedicated space in their darkrooms and started work on Lippmann photography, and began teaching holography.

Both these activities still continue, and I also teach it at the California College of Art (formerly CCAC) in Oakland. Colin substituted for me there once, and did a fine job. I would be happy to meet anyone with interests in holography or Lippmann photography.
Martin

Post by Martin »

walschuler wrote:I have been negligent in not getting to my background sooner. I developed an interest in astronomy very early on and built my own telescope from scratch, including grinding the main mirror, in 8th grade. I went on to major in astronomy in college and get a doctorate in astronomy from UC Santa Cruz.

Almost as early on (1961) lasers were invented and holography revived. They caught my interest too. I started trying to build a HeNe laser in high school, but did not finish it. I picked up the project in college and finally succeeded, making my own mirrors, machining metal parts, and doing glass blowing for the tube. A fellow student, Peter Moulton, did the power supply. He has since stayed with the field and is very well known, having invented the Ti-saphire laser. Our laser put out about 10mW and could be tuned through all the TEM modes, as the mirrors were external to the tubeand their allignment was adjustable.

I strayed for a while into energy consulting and solar system design but since returned to teaching in astronomy and the sciences. I started teaching holography in graduate school. I picked up some holography references then and discovered mention of Lippmann photography, which intrigued me greatly. I collected information, but did nothing with it until 1992 when I was appointed to the faculty at California Institute of the Arts, in Valencia, Ca., where I still teach. I asked for dedicated space in their darkrooms and started work on Lippmann photography, and began teaching holography.

Both these activities still continue, and I also teach it at the California College of Art (formerly CCAC) in Oakland. Colin substituted for me there once, and did a fine job. I would be happy to meet anyone with interests in holography or Lippmann photography.

Welcome to the forum, Bill. Hope to resume our discussions on Lippmann photography.

By the way, I wondered what had happened to the Lippmann centenaire exposition in Paris (2001 or so)...
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Bill, How many people are on the net with an interest in Lippmann photography? I would gladly add a forum section for Lippmann.
jmcclean

Post by jmcclean »

Hi y'all, saw my first hologram at the Museum of Natural History in NYC during a 6th grade class trip (1977?). It was the Apollo lander and when I reached my hand up to touch it I freaked out! It really scared the heck out of me, I thought I was looking at a plastic model illuminated with red light. Then in 1983 I had the blessing of visiting the Musee de Holographie at Chatelet Les Halles in Paris. Has anyone seen the train hologram? This was a glass plate about 1m square and must have been projected with a green laser. The image of the train extended out at least a meter from both sides of the glass plate. I distinctly recall lying on the ground and looking up at the wheel axles and sticking my nose into the rear window until a cetain point when the whole thing vanished as I obscured the replay beam. Anyone know more about this hologram? I believe it was created by Bell Labs and that there may be another copy at their offices in NJ.

Forward to the summer of 1985 where I am living in a tent in Homer Alaska and I find McNair's book "How to Make Holograms" at the library and I think to myself- I can do this, and it would be the perfect medium to express my fantastic otherworldy visions. Later that fall I tripped over the portal of the Holos Gallery in San Francisco and was completely blown away. Putting my eye to the objective of the microscope came to me on a whim, but HOLY CRAP! There was an image of an enlarged microchip on my retina. I decided that day this was for me, went home to NJ, bought a Metrologic 10 mW laser and the Metrologic sandbox kit, built a sandbox and cranked out a number of excellent transmission type holograms, still my favourite type to this day for clarity of image and depth of field. Joined the Museum of Holography in NYC and enrolled at U. of New Mexico to study physics in '87. Got a job in a neon shop hoping to build my own lasers someday as I had some classes in electronics. Unfortunately I discovered I had no math ability, so switched to Art to study history of and studio Photography. The rumoured holography lab at UNM no longer existed, and I was all alone in the world with my new cement slab table in the garage of a house I rented. That didn't last long, but soon met a friend, Stuart Schild, who was also interested in holography. Together we built a cinder block topped 4 x 8 foot table and I upgraded to a Metrologic 10 mW HeNe with wonderful polarisation. We tried all we could using Saxby and Unterseher to make decent reflection holograms. Stuart could machine and weld anything, I was good at chemistry and electronics, but the best we ever achieved were a few bright Denisyuk holograms on 8E75 HD film using pyrochrome developer with sodium sulfite added to shift the colour. This was '91-'94 and then we went our separate ways.

I attended Florida State University to study underwater archaeology after having gotten the bug about archaeology from an air photo interpretation class. Picked up a BA at UNM and now an MS from FSU in Anthropology with the hopes of one day doing museum replica holograms. Did some photography of artefacts for the Natl Park Service, then found a decent job doing sonar surveys for the Florida Geological Survey. Built a small 2 x 4 foot cement slab table on dense foam (forget about those inner tubes, this thing is rock solid with a freight train rolling along less than 100 meters north of my flat) and picked up a diode laser from Integraph. Then last year I built a DS 650 laser which I used to make a few reasonably bright and clear holograms. It seems the diode revolution is in full swing and I have been reinspired to try my hand again at making holograms. I am using up my old stock of 8E75HD, which is surprisingly not fogged after 10 years in a storage unit in Florida.

Working now as freelance photographer in Tallahassee FL and hoping to make something happen with Holography one of these days. Still baffled by how to get a nice collimated beam using my Newport spatial filter and parabolic mirror from that wedge shaped diode laser. I love this forum, it lessens the bitter edge of the lonely frustration that Holography can be- thanks for being here and taking the time to read my bio. Cheers, James McClean, McClean Image Studio
infect4dmushr00m

Post by infect4dmushr00m »

hi i am a high school student and i am new to holography, i have a 10 miliwatt metrologic neon laser and a really old metrologic sandbox holography kit i got from my school, so far all the holograms ive made are really dim and are only visible from light from the sun directly or from a projector
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Hello!

I'm a 16 year old high school student from Illinois who's been amazed by holograms for as long as I can remember. This year for my school's science fair, I decided to try to do a project with holograms so I'd have an excuse to try to make some. Unfortunatley the only experiment I could come up with that my science teacher would approve involves making HOEs (holographic optical elements) which I think is a bit, lot, over my head. Especially since the science fair is in less than three weeks and I still don't have my holography set-up! But I'm super-excited about trying!
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

It's kind of a lot to expect to make HOE's for a holographic beginner! But an easy HOE to make to amaze your teacher, once you get some decent holograms of objects, is to simply replace your object with a mirror that has focussing power.

If you live in the Chicago area, check out American Science and Surplus. They have mirrors that were taken out of Xerox machines and are the right size for the 2 1/2" plates that you get with the beginner kits. I know they work, since one of my sons used one for his science fair project!
BobH

Post by BobH »

I'd suggest simply laying a small piece of holographic plate up against a little convex mirror (like used on the side view mirror of cars ... get it at Kragen's), and exposing the whole area with expanded and collimated laser light. You'll make an off-axis, filtering, focusing mirror! A very complex optical element which you can study and explain in great detail. :wink: