Introductions - Everyone please chime in!

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
pinar

Post by pinar »

Thanks Michael! It's great to be here!

I like latin dances. My favorite is jive but in the class and latin nights we do mostly salsa and a little bit cha cha, sometimes merengue. and I don't do both same time either :)))
semb

Post by semb »

Hi All,

I'm getting back into holography after a 15 year break. I had the good luck to apprentice under George Clare when I was in high school. George was assisting Jeff Blyth with tests in his early work on red-sensitive DCG at the time. I got to play with this amazing stuff very early on. Unfortunately my samples must have not been properly dried, because they all turned violet and disappeared after a few months.

I'm now based in San Francisco, and am just getting a lab together. Things look like they will be so much easier these days with laser diodes, Graham Saxby's books and the internet!

Simon
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

welcome semb,yes its a lot easer to to have fun with hography when we can share ideas and all improve from it! please post pictures of your set up. what lasers are you using?
semb

Post by semb »

dave battin wrote:welcome semb,yes its a lot easer to to have fun with hography when we can share ideas and all improve from it! please post pictures of your set up. what lasers are you using?
hi dave,

i'm just in the process of finding the right lasers to use - the right cost/power balance at least! I have bought a couple of laser pointers, and have a green DPSS laser i've been lent too. I need to set them all up on the michelson interferometer and check them out to see if i'm getting single longitudinal mode. if i'm not i'll be tempted to try a higher power 650 or 635nm laser diode and build some temperature control.

can one add an etalon to commonly (cheaply) available green DPSS lasers?

Simon
RoadRunner

Post by RoadRunner »

Wahaaaay !!

My account request was approved !!

Hello everyone.

I'm a holo-virgin.

Wanted to make holograms for many years.

Always known that they're particularly difficult and extremely expensive.

However, having seen plans on the net for those single-beam things, I think you call them 'denisyuks' don't you ? I feel that maybe the world of holography is actually in my grasp.

Sadly, before I managed to get my hands dirty, my HeNe setup (only a couple of mW) has become somewhat comatose. I think it's PSU issues.

I'd been told that they weren't any good for holography anyway.

Now I have a few DPSS greens ranging from 8mW to nearly 200mW (although I tend to get an average of about 165 or so out of the 'big-boy')

...and once again... people are telling me that they probably are not suitable for holography. So, I've been spending my time reading this site to find out just what IS necessary to get my first taste of DIY holograms.

Putting a lens-less 5mW diode on a table and shining it at a plate resting on a coin for ten minutes might just be a start, but I don't want it to be my limit.

I'm awaiting delivery of some front-surface mirrors and a cube beam-splitter. The thing I seem to be most in need of right now is a lens to expand my beam. I've been through my entire collection of lenses and none of them are suitable or the quality is so bad that I get wild interference patterns by shining a beam through them.

Even the lens I ripped off the front of a little red diode-laser is disappointingly cruddy !!!

Anyway... I thought I should make my presence known and say hello.

I'm going to spend some more time reading and trying to digest some of the more technical posts here before I spend time asking daft questions...

... and I'm sure I'll ask some REAL daft ones...

Oh... My 'entry' for the 'dumb, dumber, dumbist' thread...

I was on the phone one night, talking to my Mum (whenever I mention this, she still cries laughing) and I cannot remember what I was doing, but I needed to stick something down with spray-mount.

Picked up the can, shook it, took off the top and pressed the button.

Dunno why, but I'd managed to get the little button with the hole pointing toward me instead of away. The button felt right under the finger, so I'd pressed. I think that's the only explanation I can give because to this day, I still cannot work out how I managed to do such a stupid thing.

Of course... I got a face full of spray-mount (or Photo-mount, whichever one of the products it was), but what made my mum laugh the most is that when I woke up the next day, I had blue-fluff all over my mouth from the pillow I'd slept on. That crazy stuff just didn't want to come off even though I'd made my face sore from scrubbing !!!

The RoadRunner..
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

RoadRunner wrote:Wahaaaay !!
My account request was approved !!
Hello everyone.
I'm a holo-virgin.
Welcome RoadRunner. You're about to dive into an exciting, frustrating, interesting, mind-boggling, bunch o fun. Enjoy! :-)
RoadRunner wrote:Sadly, before I managed to get my hands dirty, my HeNe setup (only a couple of mW) has become somewhat comatose. I think it's PSU issues.
I'd been told that they weren't any good for holography anyway.
Was the person who told you that trying to sell you another laser? He's wrong. HeNe's are very well suited for use in holography. They have their downsides as much as any other kind of laser but are real work-horses.
RoadRunner wrote:Even the lens I ripped off the front of a little red diode-laser is disappointingly cruddy !!!

Get an old CD player and pull it apart for some clean optics. Any lens that's been exposed to the world for any length of time will likely have defects and the lenses used for cheap pointers aren't likely to be much good.

And keep the spray-mount away from your holography equipment. ;-) Blue-fluff is lethal.
glajciorz

Post by glajciorz »

Hello everyone!

I'm typical DIY mad scientist-like guy :-)

I'm a chemist and I'm working in a team that makes GaN lasers.

I'm complete newbie for holography, but I've collected almost all the chemistry needed to make my own plates and I'm hoping to start in a week or two. I'd like to start with small Denisyuks on silver materials and Polygrama's polymer. As a laser I'd like to use DVD-burner lasers (besides pointer lasers).

Why holography - because from 3 years I play with stereophotography and everything which is not 3D-related simply bothers me :lol:

And because everyone around say "It's impossible to make hologram at home without 2-ton optical bench and xxx k$ worth stuff both located on a distant island" etc.

Would be nice to join stereophotography and holography. To record my best 3D photos on the holo-plate so that everyone could see them without glasses, page flipping etc... :-) I've read it's possible.

My other 3D activities are flying (motoparaglider) and diving (both combined with 3D photographing). And tesla-coiling, but it's not quite 3D :wink:

greetings

Adam
info.crew

Post by info.crew »

I am interesting in holography since my 4 or 5 years of age, when I was with my father in technical mseum on the holography exhibition. There was many fantastic holos from Russia "like real".

I am relatively fresh absolvent of the chemistry of materials. I bought the Saxby's book half year ago and I decided to make my own hologram. But I still don't have the right chemicals. :roll: I also don't have much space for it :( but I hope, that it is just question of the short time.
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Welcome. If you've got any questions at all, feel free to ask and I'm sure someone will step up to help out.
info.crew

Post by info.crew »

Yes, I have many questions, I posted first few in the separate topic.