Introductions - Everyone please chime in!

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
wler

Post by wler »

Dinesh wrote:Don't worry. there are a lot of other people who still don't understand all the principles of holography and they've been doing it for years! :D
lol..;-)
Jim McPherson

Post by Jim McPherson »

Hi,
I'm Jim McPherson. I've been interested in Holography ever since I saw a special on the Discovery channel, back when it was mainly a science/technology channel. A guy had a holography table in his basement and made these cool 3D pictures. I was hooked.

However, only being 14 I couldn't do much. When I was 15 I convinced my employer to let me use an internal room in his office space to setup a sand table. After making a few transmission holograms, I started trying for reflections and just as I made one my boss needed the room back. So I stopped for a while. Then college happened and dorm life wasn't compatible with Holography. Now I'm in a 3rd floor apartment doing everything I can to make holograms. I've had to resort to the Shoebox holography 1'x1' table, but my wife and I are looking for a home so hope to get back into "real" holography soon.

Other intrests include Radio Controled Electric Aircraft, laser light shows, home theater, and piano.

I'm very glad to have this incredible resource, if only this was available in '95 when I first started.... I'd have saved a lot of film.

Despite the arguing, and seemingly unwarrented fighting, this place rocks :-)

-Jim
Vidar

Post by Vidar »

My name is Vidar Hegdal and I live in Norway. I saw my first hologram (a bird hacking its way through a milk bottle on 10x12cm film) many years ago. My wife, who is a reprographer, bought it at Drupa, a German printing show. Several years later I picked up the hologram from a drawer and - more or less suddenly - I was hooked. I searched the internet and found the publication by Christopher Outwater & Van Hamersveld and made a hard copy. Shortly after I purchased Holography Handbook, Making Holograms The Easy Way by Fred Unterseher, Jeannene Hansen and Bob Schlesinger. I also purchased Practical Holography by Graham Saxby. Using the descriptions in Practical Holography, I made a 120x250cm concrete/steel top table resting on 6 inner tubes. I made most of the equipment myself, including a hopeless spatial filter causing me a lot of trouble. I got a lot of help with chemicals from my good friend Ronny Anderassen, as well as hints and tricks to get started. He mixed developer and bleach and drove the 150 kilometres over to Sandefjord where I live. Within a couple of hours we placed the first 10x12 8e75 hologram under the spotlight. Amazing!

I quickly started to make H1 and H2's using the Saxby bypass technique, and switched over to full split beam methods soon after I got my first beam splitter. I still use the bypass setup from time to time when making H2s, but I prefer to use a full split beam if the master is weak. I am using some home made oil filled plexiglass lenses for collimation. My laser is a 15mw surplus laser. From time to time I update my home page http://www.techsoft.no/holography with pictures of holograms and holo-setups. I work mostly with 20x25cm reflections and shallow full aperture transmissions. I still have some 8e75 left, but will soon have to switch over to PFG I guess. I find this forum very useful indeed, thanks to all!
lori lovtronic

Post by lori lovtronic »

hello ---

first post ever! i'm probably the biggest newbie here. i visited the museum of holography here in Chicago as a treat to myself about a month ago, as i just like visiting the smaller museums around town to see their collections (museum of surgical sciences is next!) well..... that one visit really set my mind and senses going and made me realise how holography is a perfect culmination of many things i am either already interested in, or eager to learn.

some background to prove this point:
-BFA in painting at University of Illinois - Champaign, 2002. always interested in visual art.

-my grandfather was a researcher at the Field Museum of Natural History, so even though my studies were in art, i always had a fascination with science, museum specimens and their documentation.
(i also am interested in holography as documentation)

-DJing and promoting electronic music -- my first forays into using technology-oriented music (with a heavy science-fiction theme) as an artform.

-studying neon last summer in SF - as using light to immerse the viewers senses and imagination was the goal that i once tried to achieve by painting alone...until completing school gave me the free time and capacity to experiment and discover that light and optics as a medium, topic of study, and artform in itself is what i've been trying to get at all along, without realising it.

so there you go. i'm ready to take it on! now i just need to wade through all the information that i look up every day and figure out the best way to learn.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

You werent' lured there by the recent article in the Reader, entitled "And They Say Pot Makes You Stupid! (A long hour at the Museum of Holography) by any chance?
lori lovtronic

Post by lori lovtronic »

nope, i wasn't aware of the article. visiting that museum had been a goal of mine for at least half a year and one day i just decided to go, especially after reading about the medical exhibit on their website. spoke with loren for a long time, and left completely inspired.

i really want to take classes there but it all depends on enough students enrolled. so any chicagoans who are interested, now is the time to call!

i'll have to track down that article....
BobH

Post by BobH »

I made copies of it, from the one sent by Ed to Hans Bjelkhagen when I saw him here at Photonics West. Best review I've seen of that place yet (gotta be honest!). :D :D :D Great picture of Ron Olson as well. Thanks for sending it out, Ed.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

If anyone else would like an e-copy of the above article, which is brutally honest as Bob has noted (no one, including the reporter, comes out looking good) just send me a request via the forum and I will forward it to you!
Cristiano_Perrucci

Post by Cristiano_Perrucci »

Hi all,
I'm new of this group. My name is Cristiano, Italian, 38yrs old, laser amateur. I made my first holo at 17yrs old with a low power hene (1mW) and the now discontinued Agfa 8E75HD-NAH.
Now I'm trying to make again holos but the target is to make them with homemade plates.
During the last weeks I've got some very good results reading the Jeff Blyth's "Red Sensitive DCG " papers.

Cheers,
Chris
Marconi

Post by Marconi »

Hi Everyone,

My interests started early in life..Being born from a scientific family background I started my holography days at the age of 13..circa (1970).. I made my first hologram for a science fair project.. It wasnt my project but for a friend that won state.. I had the electronics background to help him with the power supplies etc...was my best friend..anywho...
I now am an engineer at a local TV station...and have collected quite an assortment of lasers.
Lately I have been wanting to get back in a try it some more.
I will be doing Solid state Red, Blue, Green , hopefully..
Found this board and hope to make a few new friends..

Chuck