Introductions - Everyone please chime in!

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Welcome Kate!
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Welcome Kate. You've got a dizzying array of choices these days and with a dedicated basement space and this forum I have no doubt you'll be successful.
Zane

Post by Zane »

Hi
Ive been into laser a long time now and am a member on various forums related to my interests.
Im just now starting to play around with holography so Im looking forward to many hours of reading here.

Looks like alot of great info here so thanx for having me.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Welcome to the wonderful world of holography Zane!
Diode Holographer

Post by Diode Holographer »

Salutations, fellow holographers. I'm reaching the point in my stay here at your forums where I will be asking questions, so I thought it appropriate to introduce myself.

I'm a total science buff. Mainly a hobbyist though. My formal education is in electricity/electronics and computers (PCs). I have studied many other subjects on my own including physics, mechanics, pyrotechnics and I'm just starting chemistry. I've also studied many other subjects, both formally and informally, unrelated to holography including hypnosis, mythology, prestidigitation, juggling and martial arts.

I first became interested in holograms in 1991. At that time they were everywhere. Comic covers, stickers, trading cards, merchandise tags... I was instantly fascinated with them. A 3 dimensional image on a flat surface. I imagine it was similar to the feeling people who saw the first light bulbs must have felt. At the time, making a hologram wasn't even an after thought. I had no idea how they were made, I didn't have the internet and I didn't have any money (I was 11). Two or three years later I read an article on holography in a magazine. It didn't give all the specifics on making holograms, but it did mention the need for a laser. That was all I needed to hear. At that time every laser was way too expensive. Even diode laser pointers were a hundred bucks or more. For a 13 year old kid in 1993 that was a hell of a lot of money.

A year or so ago, my studies of prestidigitation reminded me about holography, so I Googled it. I found Integraf and there diode holography kit and scooped it up. I have since upgraded to a 10mW 650nm LD ($12.00 @ Aixiz.com for any newbees out there interested) and between the two lasers I've made four or five SBR holograms and six or seven SBT holograms, including one which contains two images, all on PGF-03M plates. I have had the damnedest time with PFG-01 film, but this past weekend I finally got a couple of SBTs on it. One is too dim to see. I can make a little bit of it out, but that's only because I know what the subject was. The other is, I believe, the brightest, sharpest, deepest hologram I've shot yet.

I am fully loving this craft. As has been mentioned it is a beautiful if not annoying hybrid of the technical and the artistic. I am extremely looking forward to my future endeavors in this new found love. Unfortunately it looks like it will be very slow going. I am just remorse at the price of most of the equipment desirable to the holography process. I'm poor and I'm cheap, so the theme of my holography is the best hologram for the cheapest, simplest method. Just as Yang pulls on Yin my holography requires a balance.

Thanks for reading. Can't wait to pick your brains.

Cheers,
Diode
BobH

Post by BobH »

Welcome. I have to say your tag line is the best I've ever seen! :D Where are you located in the US? If possible, the best thing you can do is connect with someone local to share equipment with.
Diode Holographer

Post by Diode Holographer »

Thanks for the welcome.
BobH wrote:Welcome. I have to say your tag line is the best I've ever seen! :D
Thanks. I wish I could claim it, but its not mine and I'm really not sure who did say it. I've looked, but I come up with multiple answers.
BobH wrote:Where are you located in the US? If possible, the best thing you can do is connect with someone local to share equipment with.
Hm, interesting fix, but I think I'll pass. I like having my lab right here where I can use it on a whim. I'll be ok. I'll save little by little, buying one component at a time and keeping my eye out for used equipment. One day I'm sure I'll have quite a nice set-up.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

At least go visit a working lab. It will save you a lot of effort. My time (2 days) at Trippletake was invaluable.
Seventh Son

Post by Seventh Son »

Greetings,

This is my first post on this site. I've enjoyed reading about your holographic exploits, and I plan on adding some of my own…

I've been making DCG-reflection holograms professionally for 14 years. I’ve made images from unicorn key-chains (lame), to Nike Air Jordan (cool). I am also responsible for the ugly Lizard-eye glasses that Greg “fossilman” Raymer wears (sorry).
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Great! Welcome! Looking forward to your posts. :D