Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Hans

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by Hans »

Here's another one. I made a board with three screws in it to rest the MBDCG plates on. I placed the subject under it and illuminated Denisyuk style from above. I could not figure out why my plates needed at least 45 minutes settling time. Some times only a hologram was visible in a thin line diagonally across the plate. Well, I have figured it out. The plates were resting with the emulsion on the screws. Because MBDCG is a relatively wet emulsion, the emulsion has a certain viscosity. The screws were slowly sinking into the gelatin under the weight of the glass. This made the glas move. I spoiled many many test plates this way. When I placed a plate upside down on the screws the settling time was not a problem anymore.
dave battin

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by dave battin »

yes Hans, your learning the hard way!( which is the way most of us learned)!LOL Tell us Hans what else have you discovered?
Hans

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by Hans »

dave battin wrote:yes Hans, your learning the hard way!( which is the way most of us learned)!LOL Tell us Hans what else have you discovered?

Oh yeah, here is another one:

In the hotel, some days ago, I decided it was a nice puzzle to figure out what the fringe spacing would be of two intersecting coherent beams of light. I made a nice drawing in my note book and started to figure out the geometry. I came with the following formula: w=L*cos(a/2)/sin(a). Where L is the wavelength of the light in meters and a is the angle of the two intersecting beams. When I opened of Saxby's book afterwards, I found a different formula: L/2=w*sin(a/2). This caused me great frustration because surely my logical reasoning could not be wrong here. I tried to re-prove my formula in three different ways. But I kept coming to the same conclusion. I WAS RIGHT!!! The frustration grew, and I was determined to post a message about this on this forum. Luckily I later noticed the little note in Saxby's book that states that sin(a)=2*sin(a/2)*cos(a/2). This was some math I forgot from high school. With that little formula it is easy to re-work my formula in to the one in the book.

If I had just bothered to put some numbers into both formula's and compared the results, it would have saved me a whole day of doing math... :)
Colin Kaminski

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Hans wrote:If I had just bothered to put some numbers into both formula's and compared the results, it would have saved me a whole day of doing math... :)

Or, if you look at it another way, you got to spend a whole day doing math! It is much better than watching TV.
glajciorz

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by glajciorz »

Hi there.

3 weeks I fired SSY1 for the rist time.

After playing with it I noticed something looking like dandruff on the OC mirror. I couldn't remove it using compressed air nor IPA.

Today I looked at the OC under the microscope.

The mirror is damaged in its volume, not on the surface.

I was wondering why and remembered that during the first day I fired SSY1 I tried to make a hole in an aluminum foil. Using short-focal-lenght concave-convex lens held very close to the laser... Tell yourself the rest of the story. :-( :evil:

Anyway, I learned something (in a painful way), the SSY1 with damaged OC is still lasing and it's good that I bought more than one laser and need only one pair of mirrors and one q-switch for my YAGNA :-)

greetings

Adam
glajciorz

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by glajciorz »

Another one - once upon the time I was trying to modify a gelatine in a way so it would start hardening immediately after coating without the need of additional bath. So I mixed gelatine with water, heated it to 60deg.C and after the gellatine dissolved I added 5% of formaldehyde.

And I partly succeeded - no additional bath was needed. The worse thing was that no coating was needed too, because the gelatine gelled in a bottle in 50s. After one hour of swearing and trying to get this bloody gel out of the bottle I finally threw everything in KOH/IPA bath and after 20 hours or so I could finally reuse the bottle.

greetings

Adam
John Klayer

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by John Klayer »

Here's the latest dumb thing I did. As you know, I've been doing cave holograms. I noticed that the better results were after about an hour of laser warm up. So I got the idea to put the laser, power supply, battery and cooling fan together in one box to lower into the cave so it would be ready by the time I got done rigging the rope to get myself down. The cooling fan was too much trouble - so what could go wrong - a turned on laser, insulated against damage and thus thermaly insulated? Did I mention that I made a window in the box to make sure that both green lights were on? By the time I got to the laser it was hotter than a firecracker.