Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
John Klayer

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by John Klayer »

Believe it or not. I actually opened a brand new, expensive package of Gentet Ultimate in daylight!
MichaelH

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by MichaelH »

Did you ruin the film? What's the tip? Don't do this? ;-)
John Klayer

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by John Klayer »

The tip is: If someone else does something incredibly stupid, be careful that you don't do the same. I didn't do it on purpose. I really, really thought that the plates would be packaged in sub packages of two plates. I just bought the plates and was in a hurry to try my Analog Technologies laser in a cave. At the last minute I thought I shouldn't risk breaking the entire package, so I decided to only carry a few. I about died when I saw all those pretty glass plates stacked together! Of the four exposures I did, one is marginal with a lot of fogging.
Kris Meerlo

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by Kris Meerlo »

I you sure that the film is fogged?

The ultimate plates look very milky if the plates are over exposed with laser light to.
JohnFP

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by JohnFP »

I can officially join the club. I was making two batches of emulsion (one with glycerin and alcohol and one regular) so I didn't want to make 100ml of each. So I was making 75ml of each. I took my usual 14 grams of gelatin for 100 ml and came up with the gelatin weight of just under 5 grams. I think I was thinking 75 is only three parts so I devided 14 by three and then on top of it I forgot to muliply by two which would have been close (just under 10 grams). Ahhhhhhhhhhh...... Why I was brain dead and didn't devide by 4 and muliplying by 3 I have no idea. I did it right for the AmDi. Instead of 2 grams I used a gram and a half. My mind has been a little clouded these last few months.

So I have plates with emulsion that has all the AmDi but half the gelatin (sounds like a diet Pepsi commercial). What tipped me off was how fluid ad liquidy the emulsion was when I coated. Well, mistakes can be a blessing some times, we'll see tonight.

TIP: invest in a calculator for your lab, take your time and check your math.
Kaveh

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by Kaveh »

OK, if it is a race to find the dumbest, here's my entry:

I was once drooling over one of my best 8X10" glass holograms, laser illuminated, with several feet of depth. It was really clean and the image was just like the real thing.

So much so that a few moments later I went to pick up that "image", putting my hand right through the hologram and smashing it to bits.

We've all done it......
jean

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by jean »

Me too.

I made a new batch of mb-dcg plates. I think, to help uniform spin coating, add a few drops of agepon (photo-flo) in the emulsion.

I spinned 4 plates and mold-cast 4.

:?

The coating seems no enough bluewish.

Huuuuu ! The methylene blue turns green !

:shock: :oops:

In the dark, I put drops of Agefix (fixer).

I'm sure, my gremlin is come back...
LaserLover

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by LaserLover »

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genuis has it's limits.

Everybody makes mistakes, but some don't learn from them.

Rick :-)
Hans

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by Hans »

I can join the club of dumbest many times over. Just now I prepared five masks to mask off a MBDCG on both sides to determine the optimum exposure time. I figured I would expose for 5, 10, 20, 40 and 80 mintes. After the last exposure I suddenly realized that the result is meaningless because of different dark reaction times after exposure. Plus, I have five small plates, all cut from the same master plate. I could have used those, each separately. And to finalize my stupidity, I made the masks from paper. Because of this plate moved during all exposures. There were images visible, but with wonderfull dark lines swimming across the image. :) But then, I always believe it is necessary to make each mistake once. At least I have made many mistakes in one go...
dave battin

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist

Post by dave battin »

this could help you when doing multi exposures as time is always a constant ….......... :twisted: