Atari and Holography

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Ed Wesly

Atari and Holography

Post by Ed Wesly »

From the Russian translation part of this forum:
Can anybody expand on Atari Inc's role with holography (1978-81), where it had for example created the Cosmos holographic game (never released) and held licences to key hologram technologies.
Any information would be very welcome.

regards,

Karl
http://www.atari-explorer.com
Sorry to reply so tardily, but I just found this thread today. This reply might also be somewhat half-baked, as I don't have my archives handy. My two sources are a holosphere article (as usual, available upon request in a pdf format if you PM me your e-address!) and recollections of a conversation with Steve Provence, holographer extra-ordinaire, who made the sample holograms.

The game had a playing field populated by LED's probably not unlike the Mattel football and basketball games of the same era. The hologram, which was embossed, must have been on a thicker substrate than normal, only partially metalized, and fit on top of the playing surface so the LED's could show through. There were two reconstruction lights, so that there was an alien terrain reconstructed while playing, and when you got blown up another light went on and the king of the aliens lit up, mocking you.

Provence was working for the nascent Light Impressions Company of Steve McGrew, who had some sweet deal with Atari to set up a lab on their premises. They made the prototype holograms, and some games were made. But there was some sort of business coup that went on, where some of the founders, Bushnell in particular, departed, and a suit came in and ran the business into the ground. And of course one of the first things to go were the hologames.

Provence said he got one of the games off the truck loaded with them headed for the landfill. He sold it to Bushnell via e-Bay. Where any other machines and holos landed up, who knows? Or perhaps someone on the forum might have more information.
BobH

Atari and Holography

Post by BobH »

Where any other machines and holos landed up, who knows? Or perhaps someone on the forum might have more information.
I remember Atari was winding down when I moved to California in '81. One of their tables, a 4x8' Newport table and legs, was bought by a friend of mine and is still in a barn up in Auburn I believe. I have a couple of the Cosmos holograms in my collection; Asteroids and Superman I think. I also have a Cosmos pin (a gift from "the can-do cowboy" hisself Mr. P), and a bunch of marketing materials for the game.

The holograms are very early embossed with de-metalized (semi-transparent) coating on them. My samples are very thin pieces of film, and I plan to mount them and build a display for them some day. :) :?
atarimuseum

Atari and Holography

Post by atarimuseum »

If you'd like to fully read up on what Atari used the Holographic technology (what they terms - Holoptics) and Steve Provence's involved you can read here:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/d ... osmos.html

Steve sold his working Atari Cosmos, some very large rolls of hologram backdrops, a binder with various materials and some other items to me for the Atari Museum.

I just found out this evening about Steve's passing last year. Now I understand why I haven't heard back from him from an email sent a short while ago. Steve was a really great guy, I enjoyed the history and information he shared and I'm really sorry to see such a talented person to have passed.

Regards,
Curt Vendel
The Atari Museum
www.atarimuseum.com
holo_cyware

Atari and Holography

Post by holo_cyware »

Man, these things are expensive: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0475467312

I wonder when our works of art will match that? One condition is obviously to have the artist dead and burried :wall:
Attachments
atari_holo.zip
screen capture from ebay auction
(129.73 KiB) Downloaded 187 times