405nm DCG

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Sergio

405nm DCG

Post by Sergio »

a_k wrote:Sergio, do you have access to that Asutralian paper? It would be a very interesting to learn how they got there.

Wler mantions that it takes only 100nW of external light to disturb even ordinary LDs, so they seem to be very sensitive for back reflections.
Ahmet I did not find it, perhaps Martin? Of course an AR diode would be ideal, but ordinary diodes are possible, would be interesting high power red diodes MM with >200mW for tunning :D
Sergio

405nm DCG

Post by Sergio »

Also I found it:

We have developed a low-cost laser "kit", delivered pre-assembled: you or your students need only tweak the alignment, and you then have a research-quality Littrow configuration extended cavity diode laser. We provide a standard diode, which will allow modehop free scans of 10GHz without AR coating. AR-coated diodes are also available. When locked to an atomic reference with a MOG controller, the performance will be outstanding. The new design has evolved from that described in Hawthorn et al but of course with many enhancements and performance improvements.

http://www.moglabs.com/product_laser.html
US$3390.00 is the kit "low price"...
Colin Kaminski

405nm DCG

Post by Colin Kaminski »

In the Network54 days we had a poster that suceeded in building an ECDL. He seemed to have lots of electonics experience. I bet if you search through the old acrhive for ECDL you will find a couple of posts. He cut the can off of the diode and did not remove the coatings.
a_k

405nm DCG

Post by a_k »

Sergio, i found that australian paper.

They mention that they used LDs without AR coating but the electronic equipment and the rest is absurdly complex.
a_k

405nm DCG

Post by a_k »

Sergio, that's now a very compact design, which seems to have evolved out of the bulky and involved project at the U. of Melbourne.

And the linewidth of 150kHz is very impressive and 3 times better than what had been achieved before, even using a Rubidium reference.

The secret of its very good performance seems to be the very accurate TEC - 1mK.

If I manage to reach a temperature stabilization < 0.01°C one day i might try an ECDL.

On the other hand, if you stabilize an ordinary red LD to 0.001°C the linewidth will be very good even without ECDL i guess.

Colin, I'll search for that Network54 posting. I'm systematically reading or browsing through all Network54 threads anway. Maybe it was wlers ECDL project.
Joe Farina

405nm DCG

Post by Joe Farina »

a_k wrote:the rest is absurdly complex.
I will try to remember that phrase, as I really like it :wink:
Danny Bee

405nm DCG

Post by Danny Bee »

I have a question.... for 16 mw full spread to 8x10 with .5g of AD our exposer are about 1min. if used for transmission holograms we could increase the AD amount to 4g and increase its sensitivity by x8 ? is my thinking correct? or if used in a h1 to h2 setup the amount of AD can be increase because the light is coming from both sides?
Colin Kaminski

405nm DCG

Post by Colin Kaminski »

a_k,

If I remember correctly it was Phil.
a_k

405nm DCG

Post by a_k »

Danny, i can't report own experiences, because i only have made denisyuks with the violet LD so far. What i found was, that even with 0.5% AmDi, when the coating is a bit thicker it already gets difficult to have good results, as the plate appears very dark in 405nm light. I would assume that for single beam reflection and coating thicknesses around 5-6um 1% would be a resonable upper limit.

If you want to use a setup in which beams hit the plates from both sides i would think that above 2% AmDi the transparency of the coating would not be sufficient to get a high DE. Even when the beams come from different sides of the plate they need to meet within the coating. If the plates don't have sufficient transparency, you would get a central plane at half of the coating thickness with the best beam ratio which would quickly get worse in both directions. I think 4% would be too much unless you were using very thin coatings.

Besides that with a higher AmDi content one would expect a larger amount of blueshift. This fear was my main reason for using only 0.5% AmDi.

With 16mW spread to fully illuminate a 8x10 plate you are already getting a sensitivity of 1.16mJ/cm2 if there are no losses at all. 8 times less would mean 144uJ/cm2, which would be great of course :)

Colin, thanks, i'll go through Phils postings then.
Sergio

405nm DCG

Post by Sergio »

The secret of its very good performance seems to be the very accurate TEC - 1mK.

If I manage to reach a temperature stabilization < 0.01°C one day i might try an ECDL.
Yes, for the VERY GOOD performance, I do not agree with such very high temp control that could be worse than 0.01°C because may be not necessary to obtain 20cm coherence? I think a student design could be useful in some cases with MM laser due lower cost, maybe.