405nm DCG

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
a_k

405nm DCG

Post by a_k »

dscn2392.jpg
dscn2392.jpg (55.75 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
dscn2396.jpg
dscn2396.jpg (57.64 KiB) Viewed 2887 times

You could take an aluminium block instead and place the clindrical module in a whole big enough for it to fit:

The aixiz modules only cost around $4. At dealextreme there are 5mw red lasers in exactly the same type of cylindrical housing for $4.30, shipment included:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5914

In these modules the LDs are press fit and they are seated very tightly. Maybe this kind of fixation of the LD would be doable with an aluminium block in DIY fashion.

I saw the type of fixing from the backside of the LD somewhere but i can't recall where it was. At that site there were small metal blocks for $5-20 even with collimating optics.

Just found it, costing $5:
LDA-2_300.jpg
LDA-2_300.jpg (11.64 KiB) Viewed 2877 times
http://www.mi-lasers.com/cgi-bin/shoppe ... esult.html

And with optics:
http://www.mi-lasers.com/cgi-bin/shoppe ... esult.html
Last edited by a_k on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave battin

405nm DCG

Post by dave battin »

Joe Farina wrote:Regarding laser diodes, there was always one thing I wanted but never able to find: a simple (and cheap) metal mount with a lot of mass. I'm thinking in terms of a large block of aluminum, say 1 X 3 X 3 inches or bigger, with a hole for the diode. The hole needs an internal ridge so the rim of the diode can press against it (with a layer of thermal grease).

a while back when i was playing around w/raw LD i set mine in to a metal heat sink with a hole to not allow the back diameter to slip into and then placed a washer with the inside diameter filed larger to slip over front of diode, now file two opposing notches on edge of washer to accept two machine screws and every thing gets greased and installed from the front of the heat sink..

ive got an old jpg. here somewhere ........
Joe Farina

405nm DCG

Post by Joe Farina »

Thanks for the photos and links, Ahmet, I'm going to look into it. Hey Dave, excellent idea! Why didn't I think of that? :roll:
dave battin

405nm DCG

Post by dave battin »

it worked nicley until i broke off a wire on the back of the diode (way to heavy wire used!)

Last edited by dave battin on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
a_k

405nm DCG

Post by a_k »

dave battin wrote:
Joe Farina wrote:Regarding laser diodes, there was always one thing I wanted but never able to find: a simple (and cheap) metal mount with a lot of mass. I'm thinking in terms of a large block of aluminum, say 1 X 3 X 3 inches or bigger, with a hole for the diode. The hole needs an internal ridge so the rim of the diode can press against it (with a layer of thermal grease).

a while back when i was playing around w/raw LD i set mine in to a metal heat sink with a hole to not allow the back diameter to slip into and then placed a washer with the inside diameter filed larger to slip over front of diode, now file two opposing notches on edge of washer to accept two machine screws and every thing gets greased and installed from the front of the heat sink..

ive got an old jpg. here somewhere ........
Dave, that's a good way of doing it. I'll try that. If you find the .jpg, that would be very helpful.

Sorry about your LD.

Joe Farina wrote:By the way, are they 5.6mm?
Yup, 5.6mm.
Colin Kaminski

405nm DCG

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Dave, it is a diode not a car battery! :) Actually I killed my first diode the same way. Now I use wire wrap wire to connect to the diode. Also, I have found it is good to keep the wires as short as posible or to shield them.
Joe Farina

405nm DCG

Post by Joe Farina »

Colin Kaminski wrote:Dave, it is a diode not a car battery! :) Actually I killed my first diode the same way. Now I use wire wrap wire to connect to the diode. Also, I have found it is good to keep the wires as short as posible or to shield them.
Yeah Dave I agree with Colin :o

Wire wrap is the way to go, using one of those little wire-wrap tools. I also agree about the possibility of long wires acting like antennas, picking up noise. About 10 years ago, when I built a TE cooled system for a diode, the fringes turned out to be less stable when I turned the darn thing on, even though I used Thorlabs electronics and did a careful job in designing and building the system. I suspect that part of the problem was noise coming from somewhere. If I had to do it again, I would be very careful about shielding wires,etc.
Joe Farina

405nm DCG

Post by Joe Farina »

For reference, I'm posting an absorption spectra for DCG from Shankoff's 1968 paper in Applied Optics.
Attachments
shankoff.gif
shankoff.gif (45.54 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
Joe Farina

405nm DCG

Post by Joe Farina »

I did a lousy job of posting that last graph, it was too big. Here it is again.

One thing worthy of note is that Shankoff was using a really huge amount of dichromate in the layer (I think) as opposed to Ahmet's tiny half-of-one percent. It would be interesting to see a new curve based on this low concentration.
Attachments
shankoff2.gif
shankoff2.gif (9.72 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
a_k

405nm DCG

Post by a_k »

Joe, did u use an NTC as temperature sensor? If so, noise certainly becomes a problem if it is connected to an external TE controller without shielding because the signals are so week. I don't know how much it matters if you connect the LD to a distant constant current driver with unshielded cable. I have not noticed anything negative so far.

Wires surely act as antennas and with all the RF emitting equipment that's present almost everywhere it could become problematic, especially if you were using an LD's built in photo diode as feedback element, because then weak signals would have to travel without shielding between LD and the controller.

Colin, wire wrap has the additional advantage that the LD does not get heated up while soldering, althought that's not a big problem if done fast.