Casting Resin

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
dave battin

Casting Resin

Post by dave battin »

way back when we used Hysol epoxies (two part type),to cement prisms, doublets, and hoes together. the only way we could them to break down was boiling them in formalhyde for hours! I agree soaking holograms in water was a very severe test and as far as my tests, I’m happy with the clearcast stuff. I have a plate with a layer of this resin applied to it and fully exposed to the elements outside with no visible sign of degradation. in addition to this test i also have a hologram sitting on my darkroom's sink grid (for weeks now) and this hologram is exposed to wide environmental changes from the cold to hot water changes and super high humidity ......
Joe Farina

Casting Resin

Post by Joe Farina »

Here are a couple photos to show the humidity enclosure. The holes in the clear shelf liner (on the bottom of the grid) are visible in the first photo. There are 18 holes.
Attachments
P7010046.JPG
P7010046.JPG (42.91 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
P7010047.JPG
P7010047.JPG (43.86 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
Dutchelm05

Casting Resin

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Joe Farina wrote:By the way, does it have any tiny micro-bubbles along any of the edges?
It is not easily seen but a couple here and there. Other than that it is perfect.
I dried out the holo completely in an oven at 60C for an hour or two than back into the water.
Dutchelm05

Casting Resin

Post by Dutchelm05 »

I know folks have been on the edge of there seats and perhaps losing sleep on the fate of the resin casted DCG.

I am happy to report it is still visable, it loss perhaps another 1/2 inch of image on the already effected areas. About 85% of the total hologram is still showing. It stands to reason that this trend will continue but overall I think this material is pretty good.

I have stopped the test since the PETHoes folks have been protesting outside my lab (a sub group of PETA no doubt)

Thanks Dave for turning me on to this stuff, it is a great cheap source for sealing DCGs.

Peace all,
Tony
RapidZer

Casting Resin

Post by RapidZer »

I have to try this at home, and maybe I should ask some assistant to my brother. I am not the type of person that can hold or take care of such things like this.
Danny Bee

Casting Resin

Post by Danny Bee »

I use Dual-Cure polyester resin
Solarez (Fast-Clear-Strong-Uv Cure)
by Wahoo! International. Ink
2605-D Oceanside Blvd. Oceanside, CA 92054 Phone 1-760-967-7873

it works great