Looking for an image for a book

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Marcel Vonk

Post by Marcel Vonk »

Dear holographers,

For a Dutch popular science book on string theory, I am looking for a good quality image of a hologram.

Some background info for who is interested (feel free to skip ahead ;) ): string theory is a mathematical theory which combines the physical concepts of general relativity and quantum mechanics. An important concept in string theory is that of a duality, which means that there are two different mathematical theories that actually predict the same physical outcomes. Such dual theories can even exist in different numbers of dimensions - and so for example there are two-dimensional theories which perfectly describe three-dimensional situations. For obvious reasons, this type of duality has been labeled the "holographic principle".

For the chapter in my book where I describe this concept, I am looking for a picture of an actual hologram. If someone has (or knows) an image that I could use for this, I would appreciate suggestions very much. Requirements on the image are:

- Large image size (preferably 1000x1000 pixels or better)
- Both the photograph and the hologram that is photographed should be free of copyrights (or at least, I need permission of the authors to publish it)

Of course, both the photographer and the person who made the hologram itself will be credited in the caption of the image.

Suggestions very welcome! Looking forward to your replies,

Marcel Vonk
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Hey Marcel, welcome. You do realize that a photo of a hologram would not be in 3D, right. With that being said, feel free to look on my site and if you see something you want to use I would be honored. No charge.

www.holograms3d.com
Marcel Vonk

Post by Marcel Vonk »

Hi John,

Thanks a lot for the offer. I had a look at your web site, and there are definitely some nice images. (I liked the fish that you have for an avatar a lot, for instance.) I also got some responses on other web sites, so I had a tough choice in the end, but decided to go with an image made by Jonathan Klempner. I'll keep your site bookmarked though - I'm sure I will write other articles on the same subject in the future.

Thanks for helping out!

Marcel
wler

Post by wler »

Lol, a hologram illustrating the AdS/CFT duality is one of my plans when I get back to make holograms again ... perhaps with some bubbles of space-time foam coming out of the plane....;-)
Marcel Vonk

Post by Marcel Vonk »

wler wrote:Lol, a hologram illustrating the AdS/CFT duality is one of my plans when I get back to make holograms again ... perhaps with some bubbles of space-time foam coming out of the plane....;-)
Ooooh, I'd want one of those for in my office!
favalora

Post by favalora »

Nerds!!!!

(In grad school we used to sing "Juan Maldacena" to the tune of "Guantanamera." This was followed by a puppet show of 1st-years singing "we all live in a ten-D universe... a ten-D universe... a ten-D universe..." to the tune of "Yellow Submarine." Stuck in my head for weeks.)

g